Film, Video I Will Wake the Dawn: Illuminated Psalms
About this Item
- I Will Wake the Dawn: Illuminated Psalms
- The Book of Psalms is probably the best-known book of the Hebrew Bible. In her new book, "I Will Wake the Dawn: Illuminated Psalms," author and artist Debra Band has selected 36 of the most well-known of the 150 psalms to interpret and illustrate. Published by the Jewish Publication Society, "I Will Wake the Dawn" contains two illuminations for each psalm on facing pages: one features the Hebrew text while the other includes the English translation. Following each of the full-page pairs is an analysis of the psalm by scholar Arnold J. Band and an explanation of the symbolism of the artwork by Debra Band.
- Event Date
- January 17, 2008
- - Debra Band is the author of the illuminated manuscript and commentary, "The Song of Songs: The Honeybee in the Garden" (Jewish Publication Society, 2005). She obtained a bachelor's degree in history from Concordia University in Montreal, Canada, and an master's degree in political science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Her work includes individually illuminated and paper cut pieces that are held in private collections, community institutions and galleries in the United States and abroad.
- Related Resources
- African and Middle Eastern Division: https://www.loc.gov/rr/amed/
- Running Time
- 34 minutes 42 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
I Will Wake the Dawn: Illuminated Psalms. 2008. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4264/.
APA citation style:
(2008) I Will Wake the Dawn: Illuminated Psalms. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4264/.
MLA citation style:
I Will Wake the Dawn: Illuminated Psalms. 2008. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4264/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoKabbalat Shabbat: The Grand Unification Debra Band discussed her book, "Kabbalat Shabbat: The Grand Unification," a beautiful, intellectual and aesthetic guide for welcoming Shabbat into the contemporary Jewish home.
- Contributor: Band, Debra
- Date: 2016-12-12
Film, VideoSong of Songs: The Honeybee in the Garden The Song of Songs is the Hebrew Bible's love song. But who sings this song? While the literal words tell of the passionate love of a man and a woman, the early...
- Contributor: Band, Debra
- Date: 2008-10-28
Film, VideoI Am Because We Are: African Wisdom in Image and Proverb Betty Press discussed and signed her new book, "I Am Because We Are: African Wisdom for Life."
- Contributor: Press, Betty
- Date: 2011-09-08
Film, VideoMere-Bi: A Senegalese Celebration of Motherhood Francoise Pfaff introduced the documentary film and show excerpts from "Mere-Bi" a film on Senegal's pioneer journalist, Annette Mbaye d'Erneville, directed by her son and noted filmmaker Ousmane William Mbaye.
- Contributor: Pfaff, Francoise - Myrick, Marie-Pierre
- Date: 2011-05-20
Film, VideoAfrica: Re-Sourcing History David Birmingham presents a lecture on "Africa: Re-Sourcing History."
- Contributor: Birmingham, David
- Date: 2011-11-14