Film, Video African American History Month Celebration: National Visionary Leadership Project Showcase
About this Item
- African American History Month Celebration: National Visionary Leadership Project Showcase
- The Library of Congress celebrated African American History Month with its signature event--a showcase of the American Folklife Center's National Visionary Leadership Project (NVLP) Collection. The NVLP is a collection of oral life histories of extraordinary African American elders who have made significant contributions to American society, and the American Folklife Center is the official repository for these stories. The Library's signature event featured a panel discussion of two distinguished elders/visionaries in the NVLP collection: Carmen De Lavallade, world-class dancer and actress; and Arthur Mitchell, world renowned dancer, choreographer and founder of the Dance Theatre of Harlem. The panel discussion focused on this year's theme, "Carter G. Woodson and the Origins of Multiculturalism" or more specifically, how different ethnic groups and cultures influenced them as individuals and the art form of dance. NVLP co-founder, Renee Poussaint, an award winning veteran journalist, served as the panel moderator. The program also included film clips from videotaped interviews of DeLavallade and Mitchell, which are a part of the NVLP collection, as well as materials from the Music Division's Alvin Ailey Collection featuring DeLavallade. Another highlight of this event included a performance by students from the Dance Theatre of Harlem Residency Program at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts. The program was co-sponsored by the Office of Workforce Diversity and Library Services.
- Event Date
- February 22, 2008
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: http://www.loc.gov/folklife
- Running Time
- 55 minutes, 53 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
African American History Month Celebration: National Visionary Leadership Project Showcase. 2008. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4276/.
APA citation style:
(2008) African American History Month Celebration: National Visionary Leadership Project Showcase. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4276/.
MLA citation style:
African American History Month Celebration: National Visionary Leadership Project Showcase. 2008. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4276/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoFamily Matters: Testing Paternity in the 20th Century
- Contributor: Milanich, Nara
- Date: 2015-03-17
Film, VideoJunior Fellows 2019 Closing Ceremony
- Date: 2019-07-31
Film, VideoOperation Pedro Pan, 1960-1962
- Contributor: Costales, René - Gómez, Susana - Echazabál, Eloisa - Canstaño, Jay
- Date: 2015-05-21
Film, VideoHow to Apply for a Job at the Library of Congress
- Contributor: Baldwin, Jewel
- Date: 2015-05-20
Film, VideoJacob Riis: Revealing How the Other Half Lives
- Contributor: None
- Date: 2016-03-14