Film, Video Ruth Crawford Seeger, Modernist Composer in the Folk Revival: Biography as Music History
About this Item
- Ruth Crawford Seeger, Modernist Composer in the Folk Revival: Biography as Music History
- In the first of a Music Division lecture series presenting members of the American Musicological Society who have completed research in the division's unique collections, Judith Tick discusses aspects of her work on composer Ruth Crawford Seeger. She introduces Seeger's training as a musician and composer, her work collecting folk songs and her role as wife and mother. In Tick's words, "As life and art intertwine, so biographical narrative illuminates the history of culture."
- March 26, 2008
- - This recording is not available.
- - Judith Tick is the Matthews Distinguished Professor in the Department of Music at Northeastern University. A music historian specializing in women's history and American music, her biography of Ruth Crawford Seeger, "Ruth Crawford Seeger: A Composer's Search for American Music," is the first full-scale biography of an American female composer.
- Performing Arts Reading Room: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/
- 1 hours 8 minutes
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Ruth Crawford Seeger, Modernist Composer in the Folk Revival: Biography as Music History. 2008. Web.. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4300/.
APA citation style:
(2008) Ruth Crawford Seeger, Modernist Composer in the Folk Revival: Biography as Music History. [Web.] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4300/.
MLA citation style:
Ruth Crawford Seeger, Modernist Composer in the Folk Revival: Biography as Music History. 2008. Web.. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4300/>.