Film, Video Sonny Burgess and the Pacers
About this Item
- Sonny Burgess and the Pacers
- Sonny Burgess and the Pacers perform rockabilly music from Arkansas, another in the Homegrown Concert Series sponsored by the American Folklife Center.
- Event Date
- October 18, 2006
- - Sonny Burgess's music spans five decades of airplay, concerts, dance parties and radio shows. An original recording artist with Sun records, he recorded classic songs such as "Red Headed Woman" and "We Wanna Boogie" in the style now known as Rockabilly. Rockabilly is an exciting blend of the blues, country and gospel, and was an important building block of 1950s rock and roll. Burgess and fellow band members put on a famously energetic rock and roll show, originally in their home region of northeastern Arkansas. In the 1950s they joined Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Billy Lee Riley, Charlie Rich, Johnny Cash and many others on regional tours in local school gyms, promoting their releases on Sun Records. Burgess and the Pacers were known not only for their music but for their acrobatic stage shows. They continue to perform regularly, and were inducted into the Rockabilly Hall Of Fame in 2002.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife
- Running Time
- 54 minutes 47 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Sonny Burgess and the Pacers. 2006. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4360/.
APA citation style:
(2006) Sonny Burgess and the Pacers. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4360/.
MLA citation style:
Sonny Burgess and the Pacers. 2006. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4360/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoCarlos Nunez: Galician Bagpipes & Flutes
- Contributor: Nunez, Carlos
- Date: 2014-08-19
Film, VideoGerdan, Kaleidoscope of World Music
- Contributor: Pidkivka, Andrei - Kirilov, Kalin - Gorokhivska, Solomia
- Date: 2014-05-22
Film, VideoThe Quebe Sisters Band: Texas Fiddle & Swing
- Contributor: Quebe Sisters Band
- Date: 2014-08-20
Film, VideoSounds of Korea: Traditional Music & Dance from New York
- Contributor: Sounds of Korea
- Date: 2014-07-23
Film, VideoPhil Wiggins & Friends: Acoustical Blues & Dance from Maryland
- Contributor: Wiggins, Phil - Franklin, Rick - Brickhouse, Junious - Moore, Marcus Childs
- Date: 2014-08-06