Film, Video The Gannon Family
About this Item
- The Gannon Family
- The Gannon Family performs Irish music and dance from Missouri, another in the Homegrown Concert Series sponsored by the American Folklife Center.
- Event Date
- November 15, 2006
- - Helen and Patrick Gannon emigrated from Ireland in 1967. Since then, they have brought traditional Irish music, song and dance to thousands of children and families nationwide. They are also accomplished teachers, sharing their tradition each week with more than 100 current students in the St. Louis Irish Arts school of music, song and dance. Their students have won more than 35 all-Ireland championship medals, and 66 Congressional award medals, 14 of which are gold medals. This concert presented three generations of an accomplished musical family. Patrick was the all-Ireland champion on harmonica in 1980 and 1981, and Helen became the first commissioned Irish dance teacher in Missouri in 1987. Helen and Patrick's daughter, Eileen, became all-Ireland champion on Irish harp in 2000, and their son Niall won the senior ensemble (groupai cheoil) competition in 2004. Eileen's husband Kurt plays piano and guitar, and Niall's wife Gretchen is the family's singer. Niall and Gretchen's daughters, Riley and Fiona, are accomplished on fiddle, concertina and whistle. Family friend Tommy Martin, a piper, rounds out the group.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife
- Running Time
- 1 hours 10 minutes 47 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Gannon Family. 2006. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4361/.
APA citation style:
(2006) The Gannon Family. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4361/.
MLA citation style:
The Gannon Family. 2006. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4361/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoOral History with Harmonia Band Members of "Harmonia" discuss the band's origins and the traditional folk music of Eastern Europe.
- Contributor: Fedoriouk, Alexander - Mikhailovich, Walt - Austin, Thea - Pidkivka, Andrei
- Date: 2013-07-11
Film, VideoNorthern Kentucky Brotherhood Singers Concert by the Northern Kentucky Brotherhood Singers.
- Contributor: Northern Kentucky Brotherhood Singers
- Date: 2013-08-07
Film, VideoKalanidhi Dance: Traditional Kuchipudi from Maryland Kalanidhi Dance Company was founded in 2005. Its artistic approach is to explore creative and contemporary ideas through the vocabulary of Kuchipudi, while retaining the essence and integrity of the classical form....
- Contributor: Kalanidhi Dance Company
- Date: 2013-08-14
Film, VideoLos Texmaniacs: Traditional Conjunto Dance Music from Texas Los Texmaniacs mix the simplest yet finest ingredients of Texas music to create a sound solidly rooted in tradition, exploding with contemporary vitality. Their versatility has led them to perform at the...
- Contributor: Los Texmanics
- Date: 2013-09-11
Film, VideoHoop Dances by Dallas Chief Eagle and Jasmine Pickner Two first place World Hoop Dance Champions have joined together to model and dance a vision of male and female balance, harmony and respect as traditionally practiced by their ancestors. Dallas Chief...
- Contributor: Pickner, Jasmine - Eagle, Dallas Chief
- Date: 2007-11-15