Film, Video Major League Tassa
About this Item
- Major League Tassa
- Major League Tassa performs Indo-Caribbean drumming and dance from Queens, New York, as part of the Homegrown Concert Series sponsored by the American Folklife Center.
- Event Date
- January 31, 2008
- - The powerfully propulsive Tassa drumming of East Indians from the Caribbean region is performed by both Hindus and Muslims, in sacred as well as secular contexts. Major League Tassa, and accompanying dancers, from Queens, New York, present rhythms used for processions, the Diwali holiday, and weddings, along with contemporary tunes performed at clubs, sports bars and social events in the New York City area. All of the members of Major League Tassa are Trinidadian-Americans in their 20s and 30s. Its leader, Anil Raghoonanan, plays the dhol, a big, double-headed bass barrel drum made of wood covered with goatskin. Kevindra Raghoonanan performs on the jhanj, brass cymbals. Dave Seetaram, the "fully" and Doodnath "Phantom" Lalchan, the "cutter," play the conical, clay tassa drum. The fulley keeps up a steady rhythm, while the lead cutter performs dazzling improvisations while guiding the other players through modulations of the rhythms. Dancers Amy Basdeo and Lauren Moomlal perform traditional dancing practiced widely at religious ceremonies and weddings, as well as hot, contemporary chutney dancing.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 53 minutes 13 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Major League Tassa. 2008. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4376/.
APA citation style:
(2008) Major League Tassa. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4376/.
MLA citation style:
Major League Tassa. 2008. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4376/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoRahim AlHaj Trio: Middle Eastern Music from New Mexico
- Contributor: Sefati, Sourena - Alhaj, Rahim - Malluf, Issa
- Date: 2016-07-28
Film, VideoThe Beehive Band
- Contributor: Band, Beehive
- Date: 2008-04-24
Film, VideoMerita Halili and the Raif Hyseni Orchestra
- Contributor: Halili, Merita - Hyseni, Raif
- Date: 2008-06-19
Film, VideoThe Zionaires
- Contributor: The Zionaires
- Date: 2008-07-24
Film, VideoDaniel Boucher & Friends: Traditional French-Canadian Fiddle Music from Connecticut
- Contributor: Boucher, Daniel
- Date: 2011-08-17