Film, Video The Beehive Band
About this Item
- The Beehive Band
- The Beehive Band performs traditional Mormon string band music from Utah, another in the Homegrown Concert Series sponsored by the American Folklife Center.
- Event Date
- April 24, 2008
- - The Beehive Band performs hymns, songs and fiddle tunes of the Utah pioneers, emphasizing primarily the initial period of the Mormon migration west (1847 - 1869), or the period before the railroad came to Utah. Many of the early converts to Mormonism came from Europe and brought with them their own cultures. Early Utah traditional music became a collage of many styles and cultures, with the glue being the common religious experience. The traditional dance music often included tunes of Scandinavian, Scottish, Irish, English and Welsh origin. It was typically played on the fiddle and accompanied by the organ, cello, bowed bass, wooden flute and accordion. The songs had their roots in old ballads and early hymnody (west gallery and shape note singing). The members of the Beehive Band all have roots that tie them to the early Utah pioneers. They have played traditional musics together for well over 30 years.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 6 minutes 2 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Beehive Band. 2008. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4377/.
APA citation style:
(2008) The Beehive Band. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4377/.
MLA citation style:
The Beehive Band. 2008. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4377/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoRahim AlHaj Trio: Middle Eastern Music from New Mexico
- Contributor: Sefati, Sourena - Alhaj, Rahim - Malluf, Issa
- Date: 2016-07-28
Film, VideoMajor League Tassa
- Contributor: Tassa, Major League
- Date: 2008-01-31
Film, VideoMerita Halili and the Raif Hyseni Orchestra
- Contributor: Halili, Merita - Hyseni, Raif
- Date: 2008-06-19
Film, VideoThe Zionaires
- Contributor: The Zionaires
- Date: 2008-07-24
Film, VideoDaniel Boucher & Friends: Traditional French-Canadian Fiddle Music from Connecticut
- Contributor: Boucher, Daniel
- Date: 2011-08-17