Film, Video Merita Halili and the Raif Hyseni Orchestra
About this Item
- Merita Halili and the Raif Hyseni Orchestra
- Merita Halili and the Raif Hyseni Orchestra perform Albanian music from New York, celebrating 40 years of the Center for Traditional Music and Dance, as part of the Homegrown Concert Series sponsored by the American Folklife Center.
- Event Date
- June 19, 2008
- - Raif Hyseni, Merita's husband and principal accompanist, hails from the Republic of Kosova, which has a large Albanian majority. Before moving to Tirane in 1992, Raif was a well-known radio and television performer in Prishtine, the capital of Kosova, where he was a member of the group Besniket. Through his recordings and media appearances, Raif has become known as a major innovator on the accordion.
- - Merita Halili is one of Albania's top performers. Born in the capital city of Tirane, Merita grew up singing the lyric songs of her native region of central Albania. Her nationwide debut came in 1983, at the age of 17, when she sang at the National Folk Festival in the town of Gjirokaster. Soon afterwards she began to perform on Albanian Radio and Television and as a soloist with the State Ensemble for Folk Songs and Dances. She subsequently became one of the most popular singers in the country. The repertoire for which Merita is best known is that of the towns of central Albania (Shqiperia e Mesme), particularly Tirane, Elbasan, Kavaje and Durres. As she was growing up, Merita modeled her singing not only on family music making but also on recordings of older singers. Merita was among the first singers in Albania to release her own recording, which still sells briskly wherever Albanians live. Perhaps her greatest recognition came in 1995, when she was awarded first prize at a gala festival held in Tirane, in which 90 singers from throughout the Albanian Diaspora participated.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 1 minutes 42 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Merita Halili and the Raif Hyseni Orchestra. 2008. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4380/.
APA citation style:
(2008) Merita Halili and the Raif Hyseni Orchestra. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4380/.
MLA citation style:
Merita Halili and the Raif Hyseni Orchestra. 2008. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4380/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoRahim AlHaj Trio: Middle Eastern Music from New Mexico
- Contributor: Sefati, Sourena - Alhaj, Rahim - Malluf, Issa
- Date: 2016-07-28
Film, VideoMajor League Tassa
- Contributor: Tassa, Major League
- Date: 2008-01-31
Film, VideoThe Beehive Band
- Contributor: Band, Beehive
- Date: 2008-04-24
Film, VideoThe Zionaires
- Contributor: The Zionaires
- Date: 2008-07-24
Film, VideoDaniel Boucher & Friends: Traditional French-Canadian Fiddle Music from Connecticut
- Contributor: Boucher, Daniel
- Date: 2011-08-17