Film, Video Song of Songs: The Honeybee in the Garden
About this Item
- Song of Songs: The Honeybee in the Garden
- The Song of Songs is the Hebrew Bible's love song. But who sings this song? While the literal words tell of the passionate love of a man and a woman, the early rabbis understood the verses as an allegory of the love between God and Israel. In her illuminated manuscript, "The Song of Songs: the Honeybee in the Garden," author and artist Debra Band interprets and illustrates the biblical text.
- Event Date
- October 28, 2008
- - Debra Band is the author of the illuminated manuscript and commentary, "I Will Wake the Dawn: Illuminated Psalms" (Jewish Publication Society, 2005). She obtained a B.A. honors degree in history from Concordia University in Montreal, Canada, and an M.S. degree in political science from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Her work includes individually illuminated and papercut pieces that are held in private collections, community institutions and galleries in the United States and abroad. Published by the Jewish Publication Society, "The Song of Songs" combines Band's illuminated images with classic rabbinic texts and modern scholarship to create a new visual interpretation of this beloved poetry.
- Related Resources
- African and Middle Eastern Division: https://www.loc.gov/rr/amed/
- I Will Wake the Dawn (webcast): https://www.loc.gov/today/cyberlc/feature_wdesc.php?rec=4264
- Running Time
- 45 minutes 26 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Song of Songs: The Honeybee in the Garden. 2008. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4462/.
APA citation style:
(2008) Song of Songs: The Honeybee in the Garden. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4462/.
MLA citation style:
Song of Songs: The Honeybee in the Garden. 2008. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4462/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoI Will Wake the Dawn: Illuminated Psalms
- Contributor: Band, Debra
- Date: 2008-01-17
Film, VideoKabbalat Shabbat: The Grand Unification
- Contributor: Band, Debra
- Date: 2016-12-12
Film, VideoFrancisco Campbell Hooker: The African Presence in Latin America
- Contributor: Campbell Hooker, Francisco
- Date: 2010-10-12
Film, VideoThe New Anbar Awakening, 2009-2011
- Contributor: Albin, Michael
- Date: 2011-09-06
Film, VideoI Am Because We Are: African Wisdom in Image and Proverb
- Contributor: Press, Betty
- Date: 2011-09-08