Film, Video "It's Of My Rambles..." A Journey in the Song Tradition of Ulster
About this Item
- "It's Of My Rambles..." A Journey in the Song Tradition of Ulster
- Len Graham presented a lecture titled "'It's Of My Rambles...' A Journey in the Song Tradition of Ulster" as part of the Rediscover Northern Ireland Program. Graham explored the folk song tradition of his native Ulster. His talk was interspersed with live performances of songs in English on many themes, including early classic ballads, broadside ballads, and songs of love, politics, emigration and many other topics. The event was co-sponsored by the Arts Council of Northern Ireland and the American Folklife Center. The Arts Council of Northern Ireland is the lead development agency for the arts in Northern Ireland. It is the main support for artists and arts organizations, offering a broad range of funding opportunities through its Exchequer and National Lottery funds.
- Event Date
- November 06, 2008
- - Len Graham has been a professional traditional singer since 1982, and he has received many awards for his work as a singer and collector. In 1993 he received the Sean O'Boyle Cultural Traditions Award for his book and field recordings titled "It's Of My Rambles¿¿¿." In 2002 he was the first recipient of the Irish television TG4 National Music Award for Traditional Singer of the Year, and in 2008 he received the Tommy Makem Keeper of the Tradition Award. "Here I Am Amongst You," his book on the songs, music and traditions of Joe Holmes (1906-78) is due for publication by Queen's University, Belfast, in late 2008.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 59 minutes 3 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
"It's Of My Rambles..." A Journey in the Song Tradition of Ulster. 2008. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4470/.
APA citation style:
(2008) "It's Of My Rambles..." A Journey in the Song Tradition of Ulster. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4470/.
MLA citation style:
"It's Of My Rambles..." A Journey in the Song Tradition of Ulster. 2008. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4470/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoAncestral Voices Roundtable
- Contributor: Peterson, Elizabeth - Tomah, Dwayne - Soctomah, Donald - Christen, Kim - Anderson, Jane - Saylor, Nicole - Shankar, Guha
- Date: 2018-06-04
Film, VideoSince 1968: The Drum & Spear Bookstore
- Contributor: Cox, Courtland - Lawson, Jennifer - Richardson, Judy - Davis, Joshua - Gittens, Anthony
- Date: 2018-09-24
Film, VideoSince 1968: The Center for Traditional Music & Dance and Appalshop
- Contributor: Koenig, Martin - Gibson, Alexander - Raim, Ethel - Rushefsky, Peter - Smith, Herb E.
- Date: 2018-09-24
Film, VideoArt of the Hunt: Hunting & Fishing Folklore
- Contributor: Graham, Andrea
- Date: 2018-06-07
Film, VideoInterview with Barry Jean Ancelet
- Contributor: Ancelet, Barry Jean
- Date: 2018-06-12