Film, Video Jews and Shoes
About this Item
- Jews and Shoes
- Shoes are an integral part of Jewish material culture according to Edna Nahshon, author of "Jews and Shoes" (Berg Publishers, 2008). The book takes a fresh look at the makings and meanings of shoes, cobblers and barefootedness in Jewish experience. The book shows how shoes convey theological, social and economic concepts, and as such are intriguing subjects for inquiry within a wide range of cultural, artistic and historic contexts.
- Event Date
- December 11, 2008
- - A graduate of Tel Aviv University and New York University, Edna Nahshon is a professor of Hebrew at the Jewish Theological Seminary in New York and senior associate at the Center of Hebrew and Jewish Studies at Oxford University.
- Related Resources
- African and Middle Eastern Division: https://www.loc.gov/rr/amed/
- Running Time
- 57 minutes 58 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Jews and Shoes. 2008. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4510/.
APA citation style:
(2008) Jews and Shoes. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4510/.
MLA citation style:
Jews and Shoes. 2008. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4510/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoJews and Theater in an Intercultural Context Dr. Edna Nahshon will speak about her new book, "Jews and Theater in an Intercultural Context."
- Contributor: Nahshon, Edna
- Date: 2012-05-02
Film, VideoI Am Because We Are: African Wisdom in Image and Proverb Betty Press discussed and signed her new book, "I Am Because We Are: African Wisdom for Life."
- Contributor: Press, Betty
- Date: 2011-09-08
Film, VideoMere-Bi: A Senegalese Celebration of Motherhood Francoise Pfaff introduced the documentary film and show excerpts from "Mere-Bi" a film on Senegal's pioneer journalist, Annette Mbaye d'Erneville, directed by her son and noted filmmaker Ousmane William Mbaye.
- Contributor: Pfaff, Francoise - Myrick, Marie-Pierre
- Date: 2011-05-20
Film, VideoAfrica: Re-Sourcing History David Birmingham presents a lecture on "Africa: Re-Sourcing History."
- Contributor: Birmingham, David
- Date: 2011-11-14
Film, VideoTurkmenistan Folk Ensemble This concert features the Turkmenistan Folk Ensemble performing traditional Turkmenistan music.
- Contributor: Turkmenistan Folk Ensemble
- Date: 2011-11-28