Film, Video Press Conference Announcing Library Commission of Stevie Wonder Composition
About this Item
- Press Conference Announcing Library Commission of Stevie Wonder Composition
- Singer/songwriter Stevie Wonder, the awardee of the second Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song, and Librarian of Congress James H. Billington held a press conference to discuss the world premiere of his instrumental composition, which was commissioned by the Library. Wonder described the evolution of "Sketches of a Life," which was inspired by his life experiences and influenced by his longtime love for classical music. The Librarian explained the importance of the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song and the selection of Wonder as "the epitome of what the prize presents."
- Event Date
- February 23, 2009
- - This recording is not available.
- Related Resources
- Stevie Wonder Discusses "Sketches of a Life" (webcast): https://www.loc.gov/today/cyberlc/feature_wdesc.php?rec=4532
- Stevie Wonder Performs "Sketches of a Life" (webcast): cyberlc/feature_wdesc.php?rec=4513
- Gershwin Prize for Popular Song: https://www.loc.gov/about/awardshonors/gershwin/
- Running Time
- 22 minutes
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Press Conference Announcing Library Commission of Stevie Wonder Composition. 2009. Online Text. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4512/.
APA citation style:
(2009) Press Conference Announcing Library Commission of Stevie Wonder Composition. [Online Text] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4512/.
MLA citation style:
Press Conference Announcing Library Commission of Stevie Wonder Composition. 2009. Online Text. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4512/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoCarla Hayden, Librarian of Congress
- Contributor: Hayden, Carla
- Date: 2016-09-14
Film, VideoCarla Hayden Sworn In as 14th Librarian of Congress
- Contributor: Mikulski, Sen. Barbara - Ryan, Rep. Paul - Blunt, Sen. Roy - Hayden, Carla
- Date: 2016-09-14
Film, VideoPreserving American Deaf Culture
- Contributor: Williamson, Max - Vail'u, Mekaella
- Date: 2016-04-12
Film, VideoSchools that Peter the Great Built: Projectors & the State in Early Modern Russia
- Contributor: Fedyukin, Igor
- Date: 2016-05-11
Film, VideoUn paese di carta
- Contributor: Langer, Emily - Benedetti, Laura
- Date: 2016-09-01