Film, Video Robert Burns at 250: Poetry, Politics and Performance: Day Two, Session 1
About this Item
- Robert Burns at 250: Poetry, Politics and Performance: Day Two, Session 1
- To mark the 250th anniversary of the birth of Robert Burns, Scotland's national poet, the American Folklife Center, in collaboration with the Scottish government as part of its Homecoming Scotland 2009 celebration, presented a free public symposium on Burns' life and work, as well as his impact on America and American culture. A panel discussion titled "Burns and His World" kicked off the second day of the symposium. Speakers included Nat Edwards, from the National Library of Scotland, who gave an overview of Burns' life and career; Ted Cowan, University of Glasgow professor of Scottish history, compared and contrasted "18th Century Scotland and 18th Century America"; and a presentation on "Robert Burns and the Scots Language" was given by documentarian Billy Kay, author of the influential history of the Scots language, "Scots: The Mither Tongue."
- February 25, 2009
- Robert Burns at 250 Program: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/Symposia/Burns/
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- 2 hours 22 minutes 14 seconds
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Robert Burns at 250: Poetry, Politics and Performance: Day Two, Session 1. 2009. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4524/.
APA citation style:
(2009) Robert Burns at 250: Poetry, Politics and Performance: Day Two, Session 1. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4524/.
MLA citation style:
Robert Burns at 250: Poetry, Politics and Performance: Day Two, Session 1. 2009. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4524/>.