Film, Video Rep. Jim Clyburn Delivers the 2009 Keynote Address for African American History Month
About this Item
- Rep. Jim Clyburn Delivers the 2009 Keynote Address for African American History Month
- In recognition of African American History Month, Rep. James E. Clyburn (D-S.C.) Majority Whip of the House, delivered the Library's 2009 keynote address. The 2009 theme for the month was Quest for Black Citizenship in the Americas. This year's celebration coincided with the centenary of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). The Library holds more than five million records of the NAACP, which is the largest single collection ever acquired by the institution.
- Event Date
- February 04, 2009
- - Rep. Jim Clyburn has represented the sixth congressional district of South Carolina since 1993. House Majority Whip in the 110th and 111th Congresses, Clyburn is the third ranking Democrat in the House behind Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Majority Leader Steny Hoyer. Born in Sumter, S.C., Clyburn graduated from South Carolina State College (now South Carolina State University) with a bachelor's degree in history. He joined the staff of Gov. John West of South Carolina in 1971 and became the state's Human Affairs Commissioner in 1971. He resigned from that position to devote his full attention to pursuing his lifelong dream of serving in the U.S. Congress, where no black South Carolinian had served since 1897. Clyburn began his steady climb on Capitol Hill in 1993, winning election as co-president of the freshman class. Six years later, he was unanimously elected chairman of the Congressional Black Caucus and to a seat on the coveted Appropriations Committee. In 2002, he was elected in a three-way race to serve as vice chair of the House Democratic Caucus, and in January 2006, his peers unanimously elevated him to chair of the Caucus and Majority Whip for the 110th Congress.
- Related Resources
- African American History Month: http://www.africanamericanhistorymonth.gov/
- Running Time
- 47 minutes, 40 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Rep. Jim Clyburn Delivers theKeynote Address for African American History Month. 2009. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4531/.
APA citation style:
(2009) Rep. Jim Clyburn Delivers theKeynote Address for African American History Month. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4531/.
MLA citation style:
Rep. Jim Clyburn Delivers theKeynote Address for African American History Month. 2009. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4531/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoA Panel Discussion on Torture, Detainees and the U.S. Military
- Date: 2007-07-11
Film, Video2006 Jay I. Kislak Lecture: Re-thinking Conquest: Spanish and Native Experiences in the Americas:
- Contributor: Fernandez-Armesto, Felipe
- Date: 2006-11-09
Film, VideoPreserving At-Risk Digital Social Science Data: The Data-PASS Project
- Contributor: Gutmann, Myron
- Date: 2007-01-26
Film, VideoRemembering Our Father: The Story of M. Carl Holman
- Date: 2009-02-10