Film, Video The Mind of an Artist
About this Item
- The Mind of an Artist
- Michael Kubovy and Judith Shatin, both from the University of Virginia, discuss "The Mind of the Artist." Debate has long raged about whether and how music expresses meaning beyond its sounding notes. Kubovy and Shatin discuss evidence that music does indeed have a semantic element, and offer examples of how composers embody extra-musical elements in their compositions.
- Event Date
- March 27, 2009
- - Judith Shatin is a composer who explores music's expressive meaning.
- - Michael Kubovy is a cognitive psychologist who studies visual and auditory perception.
- Related Resources
- Performing Arts Encyclopedia: https://www.loc.gov/performingarts/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 7 minutes 22 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Mind of an Artist. 2009. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4602/.
APA citation style:
(2009) The Mind of an Artist. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4602/.
MLA citation style:
The Mind of an Artist. 2009. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4602/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoThe Mind of an Artist videorecording | videorecording ; 67 min | Michael Kubovy and Judith Shatin, both from the University of Virginia, discuss "The Mind of the Artist." Debate has long raged about whether and how...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Kubovy, Michael - Shatin, Judith
- Date: 2009
Film, VideoPre-Concert Conversation with Nico Muhly & Daniel Hope Violinist Daniel Hope and pianist Jeffrey Kahane join composer Nico Muhly for a pre-concert conversation.
- Contributor: Kahane, Jeffrey - Hope, Daniel - Muhly, Nico
- Date: 2012-10-12
Film, VideoRosanne Cash Celebrates Songs of America Singer-songwriter Rosanne Cash introduces the Library's new Songs of America website.
- Contributor: Cash, Rosanne
- Date: 2014-02-03
Film, VideoWild Tales: A Rock & Roll Life Legendary musician Graham Nash, founding member of the iconic bands Crosby, Stills & Nash and The Hollies, speaks about his candid and riveting new autobiography "Wild Tales: A Rock and Roll Life."
- Contributor: Nash, Graham - Spitz, Bob
- Date: 2013-09-16
Film, VideoWhat the Autograph Can Tell Us: Beethoven's Sonata in E Major, Opus 109 One of the treasures of the Library's collection of composers' autographs is the manuscript of Ludwig van Beethoven's late E major piano sonata. William Meredith presents a fascinating event with a distinguished...
- Contributor: Hwang, Shin - Bilson, Malcolm - Meredith, William
- Date: 2011-09-10