Film, Video journey to Freedom: The Boat People Retrospective (Afternoon Session)
About this Item
- journey to Freedom: The Boat People Retrospective (Afternoon Session)
- In the years following the Vietnam War, more than 1 million refugees fled the war-ravaged countries of Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. Those who took to the ocean in small, overcrowded ships were dubbed the "boat people." Many perished on the seas, some at the hands of pirates, while others took refuge in Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong, the Philippines and Indonesia. By the late 1970s and 1980s, the United States, Canada and other nations accepted many of those who survived the refugee camps. Scholars, community leaders and former refugees discussed the topic in four sessions: "Historical Background," "Exodus," "Rescue and Hospitality," and "Remembering Who We Are and Where We Have Been."
- Event Date
- May 02, 2009
- Related Resources
- Asian Division : http://www.loc.gov/rr/asian/
- Running Time
- 2 hours, 9 minutes,
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
journey to Freedom: The Boat People Retrospective Afternoon Session. 2009. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4607/.
APA citation style:
(2009) journey to Freedom: The Boat People Retrospective Afternoon Session. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4607/.
MLA citation style:
journey to Freedom: The Boat People Retrospective Afternoon Session. 2009. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4607/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoJourney to Freedom: The Boat People Retrospective (Luncheon Session)
- Date: 2009-05-02
Film, VideoJourney to Freedom: The Boat People Retrospective (Morning Session)
- Date: 2009-05-02
Film, VideoTraditional Chinese Wisdom and Business World
- Contributor: Cho-Yun, Hsu
- Date: 2004-08-17
Film, VideoThe Future of Cataloging and Librarianship
- Contributor: Marcum, Deanna
- Date: 2005-04-22