Film, Video Julia Alvarez: 2009 National Book Festival
About this Item
- Julia Alvarez: 2009 National Book Festival
- Fiction and fantasy author Julia Alvarez appears at the National Book Festival.
- Event Date
- September 26, 2009
- - Although Julia Alvarez was born in New York City, her family moved to the Dominican Republic shortly after her birth, where she spent the majority of her childhood. In 1960, when Alvarez was 10, her family returned to the United States, fleeing the Dominican Republic because of her father's involvement in an unsuccessful attempt to overthrow the dictator Rafael Trujillo. Alvarez calls herself an American, yet her writing bridges the realms of Latina and American culture. Alvarez's latest books include "Return to Sender" (2009) and "Once Upon a Quinceanera: Coming of Age in the USA" (2007).
- Related Resources
- National Book Festival: http://www.loc.gov/bookfest/index.html
- Julia Alvarez: Podcast: http://www.loc.gov/podcasts/bookfest09/podcast_alvarez.html
- Running Time
- 42 minutes, 51 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Julia Alvarez:National Book Festival. 2009. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4721/.
APA citation style:
(2009) Julia Alvarez:National Book Festival. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4721/.
MLA citation style:
Julia Alvarez:National Book Festival. 2009. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4721/>.