Film, Video From Oral Tradition to Critical Edition: The James Madison Carpenter Collection of Folk Music and Drama
About this Item
- From Oral Tradition to Critical Edition: The James Madison Carpenter Collection of Folk Music and Drama
- This lecture showcases the variety and importance of the James Madison Carpenter Collection, which has been digitized and is intended for online presentation as part of the Performing Arts Encyclopedia. The talk describes some of the editorial challenges facing the James Madison Carpenter Project team as they prepare a critical edition of the collection.
- April 23, 2008
- - Jula Bishop heads the James Madison Carpenter Project team, which comprises folkmusic and folk drama scholars from the US and the UK. The team has been working on the collection since 2001 in close cooperation with staff at the American Folklife Center. The team has compiled a detailed finding aid, using xml and, specifically, Encoded Archival Description, which allows the collection to be searched at item level. This has formed an essential foundation for the team's current work on preparing the entire collection for publication in a critical edition (funded by the National Endowment for the Humanities, in cooperation with the American Folklore Society, and the British Academy).
- The American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/index.html
- 1 hours 16 minutes 44 seconds
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
From Oral Tradition to Critical Edition: The James Madison Carpenter Collection of Folk Music and Drama. 2008. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4747/.
APA citation style:
(2008) From Oral Tradition to Critical Edition: The James Madison Carpenter Collection of Folk Music and Drama. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4747/.
MLA citation style:
From Oral Tradition to Critical Edition: The James Madison Carpenter Collection of Folk Music and Drama. 2008. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4747/>.