Film, Video The Ragheb Moftah Collection Demonstration and Celebration
About this Item
- The Ragheb Moftah Collection Demonstration and Celebration
- Staff and guests gather to mark the launch of a new presentation on the Library's website on Coptic Christian chant. A demonstration of the site is given by the project curator, Carolyn Ramzy. With its roots in Ancient Egyptian music, Coptic Christian chant is one of the oldest liturgical genres still performed today. Drawing on the Ragheb Moftah Collection, this presentation explores some of the earliest music transcriptions by explorers, missionaries, and scholars in Egypt, highlighting Moftah's efforts to notate, record, and preserve all Coptic Orthodox hymns.
- Event Date
- October 23, 2009
- - Carolyn Ramzy is the Coptic Chant Web Project Curator with the Library of Congress.
- - Karen Lund is the Digital Project Coordinator for this particular project at the Library of Congress.
- - Laurence Moftah is Emerita for Coptic Studies at the American University in Cairo.
- - His Grace Bishop Michael is associated with the Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Mid-South Atlantic.
- - His Grace Bishop Youssef, Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Southern United States entered the monastic life in 1986 at the El-Souryan Monastery. He was ordained into the priesthood in 1988. Then in 1989, he came to the United States under the auspices of His Holiness Pope Shenouda III, the 117th Pope of the Holy See of St. Mark. In 1992, His Grace was ordained as General Bishop and in 1993, he was appointed to oversee the Southern Coptic Diocese. In 1995, he was enthroned as the first Bishop of the Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Southern United States.
- Related Resources
- Music Division: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/
- Coptic Orthodox Liturgical Chant & Hymnody: https://lcweb2.loc.gov/diglib/ihas/html/coptic/coptic-home.html
- Running Time
- 1 hours 12 minutes 52 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Ragheb Moftah Collection Demonstration and Celebration. 2009. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4759/.
APA citation style:
(2009) The Ragheb Moftah Collection Demonstration and Celebration. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4759/.
MLA citation style:
The Ragheb Moftah Collection Demonstration and Celebration. 2009. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4759/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoThe Ragheb Moftah Collection Demonstration and Celebration videorecording | videorecording ; 72 min | Staff and guests gather to mark the launch of a new presentation on the Library's website on Coptic Christian chant. A demonstration of the site...
- Contributor: Ramzy, Carolyn - Moftah, Laurence - Library of Congress - Michael, His Grace Bishop - Lund, Karen - Youssef, His Grace Bishop
- Date: 2009
Film, VideoEmile Berliner & the Birth of the Recording Industry Emile Berliner (1851-1929) was a German-born immigrant whose inventions contributed to the birth of the recording industry. A largely self-educated man, Berliner was responsible for the development of the microphone, the flat...
- Contributor: Lund, Karen - Brylawski, Samuel
- Date: 2011-05-17
Film, VideoLaurence Moftah interviews Margit Toth and Martha Roy, March 13, 2002 videorecording | 1 video disc : digital ; 4 3/4 in. | Duratation - 1:31:23 (General). Courtesy of Laurence Moftah and Philip Croom, Associate Dean of the Rare Books and Special Collections...
- Contributor: Roy, Martha - Toth, Margit - Moftah, Laurence - American University in Cairo
- Date: 2002
Film, VideoFour interviews with Ragheb Moftah by Raymond Stock videorecording | 1 video recording : digital, 4 3/4 in. | Interviews Conducted at Library of Congress, Cairo Office (Venue). Part of the Library of Congress World Heritage Series, 1996-1997. (General). Courtesy...
- Contributor: Library of Congress - Stock, Raymond T. - Moftah, Ragheb - Moftah, Laurence
- Date: 1997
Film, VideoPre-Concert Conversation with Nico Muhly & Daniel Hope Violinist Daniel Hope and pianist Jeffrey Kahane join composer Nico Muhly for a pre-concert conversation.
- Contributor: Kahane, Jeffrey - Hope, Daniel - Muhly, Nico
- Date: 2012-10-12