Film, Video Stripping Gypsy: The Life of Gypsy Rose Lee
About this Item
- Stripping Gypsy: The Life of Gypsy Rose Lee
- Most people's knowledge of the entertainer Gypsy Rose Lee was gained through the stage musical and film of her extraordinary life. In Noralee Frankel's biography "Stripping Gypsy: The Life of Gypsy Rose Lee" (Oxford University Press, 2009), the author reveals another side of this complex and enigmatic figure. Frankel's lively biography, the first ever published about the highly mythologized Lee, examines the struggles she faced in making a lucrative and unconventional career for herself while maintaining a sense of dignity and social value.
- Event Date
- November 17, 2009
- - Noralee Frankel is the assistant director for women, minorities and teaching at the American Historical Association. Her books include "Freedom's Women: Black Women and Families in Civil War Era Mississippi" and "Break Those Chains at Last: African Americans, 1860-1880."
- Related Resources
- Join the Discussion of this Webcast on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=116926901435&topic=10936 External
- Center for the Book: http://www.read.gov/cfb/
- Running Time
- 58 minutes 47 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Stripping Gypsy: The Life of Gypsy Rose Lee. 2009. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4783/.
APA citation style:
(2009) Stripping Gypsy: The Life of Gypsy Rose Lee. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4783/.
MLA citation style:
Stripping Gypsy: The Life of Gypsy Rose Lee. 2009. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4783/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoLewis Carroll in the Mirror of Surrealism
- Contributor: Marcus, Leonard
- Date: 2016-04-15
Film, VideoAmerica's Political Dynasties: From Adams to Clinton
- Contributor: Hess, Stephen
- Date: 2016-06-16
Film, VideoCartoons for Victory
- Contributor: Bernard, Warren
- Date: 2016-07-13
Film, VideoWhen We Are No More: How Digital Memory is Shaping Our Future
- Contributor: Rumsey, Abby Smith
- Date: 2016-05-24
Film, VideoThe Fight to Vote
- Contributor: Waldman, Michael
- Date: 2016-07-14