Film, Video Is Israeli Classical Music Jewish?
About this Item
- Is Israeli Classical Music Jewish?
- The music of Israel is a unique combination of Jewish and non-Jewish traditions that have come together over the course of a century to create a distinctive musical culture. Immigrants from Europe, Asia, the Middle East and elsewhere brought with them their musical traditions, melding and molding them into a new Israeli sound that helped define the emerging national spirit. Ronit Seter, a scholar in the field of Israel art music, poses the question "Is Israeli Classical Music Jewish?"
- Event Date
- November 19, 2009
- - Music scholar Ronit Seter earned a bachelor's degree and master's degree in musicology from Bar-Ilan University in Israel and a doctorate degree at Cornell University. She has served on the faculties of Peabody Conservatory at Johns Hopkins University, George Washington University, American University and Hebrew University of Jerusalem. She was awarded the Dan David Scholarship and two grants from the Memorial Foundation for Jewish Culture. She currently serves as the Capital Chapter Representative of the American Musicological Society. Her articles have appeared in Grove Music Online, Tempo, "Encylopedia Judaica," "Jewish Women: A Comprehensive Historical Encyclopedia" and "Asian Composers in the 20th Century." She has presented her work at many international conferences, among them those of the American Musicological Society, the International Musicological Society and the World Congress for Jewish Studies.
- Related Resources
- African and Middle Eastern Division: https://www.loc.gov/rr/amed/
- Running Time
- 45 minutes 43 seconds
- Online Format
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Is Israeli Classical Music Jewish?. 2009. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4791/.
APA citation style:
(2009) Is Israeli Classical Music Jewish?. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4791/.
MLA citation style:
Is Israeli Classical Music Jewish?. 2009. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4791/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoIn the Mediterranean Mode: Israeli Women Composers Ronit Seter discussed Israeli woman composers Shulamit Ran, Betty Olivero and Chaya Czernowin.
- Contributor: Seter, Ronit
- Date: 2012-03-06
Film, VideoIcons of the Coptic Church Evelyn Rophael gives a presentation about the 2,000 year history of Christian icons of Egypt, including her own experience as a Coptic iconographer.
- Contributor: Rophael, Evelyn
- Date: 2017-01-25
Film, VideoThe Thirteenth Hour Translator Zelda Kahan Newman speaks about the Yiddish poetry of Rivka Basman Ben-Haim.
- Contributor: Newman, Zelda Kahan
- Date: 2016-09-19
Film, VideoPreserving Family Recipes Valerie J. Frey discussed her book "Preserving Family Recipes: How to Save and Celebrate Your Food Traditions."
- Contributor: Frey, Valerie
- Date: 2016-10-27
Film, VideoBusiness & Entrepreneurship in Saudi Arabia Edward Burton discussed his work with the American and Saudi public and private sectors to promote the interests of U.S.-Saudi Arabian bilateral relationships.
- Contributor: Burton, Edward
- Date: 2017-02-15