Film, Video 2009 Americas Awards Ceremony
About this Item
- 2009 Americas Awards Ceremony
- Authors Yuyi Morales and illustrator Margarita Engle receive the 2008 Americas Award for Children and Young Adult Literature during the 16th award presentation hosted by the Library of Congress. The award is sponsored by the Consortium of the Latin American Studies Program (CLASP) at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. The Library of Congress Hispanic Division and the Center for the Book hosted the event. Yuyi Morales was honored for her book "Just in Case: A Trickster's Tale and Spanish Alphabet Book" (Roaring Brook, A Neal Porter Book, 2008). Born and raised in Mexico, Morales has been a radio producer and children's book creator since coming to the United States. Her books have won numerous accolades, including the Pura Belpre Award for "Los Gators Black on Halloween." Margarita Engle received the Pura Belpre Award and was honored for her novel "The Surrender Tree" (Henry Holt, 2008), which follows the story of Rosa, a real character who lived during Cuba's bloody wars of independence in the 1860s and 1890s.
- Event Date
- October 17, 2009
- - Margarita Engle is a writer and recipient of the Americas Award.
- - Yuyi Morales is a writer and recipient of the Americas Award.
- - John Y. Cole is director of the Center for the Book at the Library of Congress.
- Related Resources
- Center for the Book: http://read.gov/cfb/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 15 minutes 46 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Americas Awards Ceremony. 2009. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4820/.
APA citation style:
(2009) Americas Awards Ceremony. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4820/.
MLA citation style:
Americas Awards Ceremony. 2009. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4820/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoOpening of the Young Readers Center at the Library of Congress For the first time in its history, the Library of Congress has a center for young people, called the Young Readers Center.
- Contributor: Wasserman Schultz, Rep. Debbie - Cole, John Y. - Billington, James H. - Anderson, M.T.
- Date: 2009-10-23
Film, VideoFiction Collections at the Library of Congress Discussion of the current fiction collections of the Library of Congress with an emphasis on the papers of National Book Award winners in the Manuscript Division. Four Library of Congress veterans present...
- Contributor: Cole, John Y. - Dimunation, Mark - Birney, Alice - Lamolinara, Guy
- Date: 2009-10-23
Film, VideoNational Ambassador for Young People's Literature 2010-2011 Announcement Announcement of the second National Ambassador for Young People's Literature at the Library of Congress, Thomas Jefferson Building. Remarks are given by the past and new National Ambassadors.
- Contributor: Cole, John Y. - Scieszka, Jon - Billington, James H. - Paterson, Katherine
- Date: 2010-01-05
Film, VideoInternational Literacy Day 2009 at the Library of Congress The Center for the Book marks International Literacy Day with a program at the Library of Congress.
- Contributor: Harvey, David - Ochoa, Mocha - Au, Kathryn - Powell, Alma - Backlund, Judy - Carson, Richard - Smith, Art - Khan, Faryal - Cole, John Y. - Harvey, Bill - Hughes, Vinny
- Date: 2009-09-09
Film, VideoYuyi Morales: Representation & Learning from Picture Books Award-winning author and illustrator Yuyi Morales discusses learning from picture books and representation.
- Contributor: Morales, Yuyi
- Date: 2018-12-30