Film, Video Shimon Iakerson: Unique Hebrew Manuscripts
About this Item
- Shimon Iakerson: Unique Hebrew Manuscripts
- Shimon Iakerson, curator of Judaica at the Russian Museum of Ethnography, delivers a presentation on "Unique Hebrew Manuscripts in St. Petersburg, Russia" at the Library of Congress in the African and Middle Eastern Division Reading Room.
- Event Date
- February 03, 2010
- - Shimon Iakerson is the preeminent scholar in the field of Hebrew incunabula (books printed before the year 1501), and the author of several books on the subject. In addition to his curatorial duties at the Russian Museum of Ethnography, he is the senior researcher at the St. Petersburg branch of the Institute of Oriental Manuscripts of the Russian Academy of Sciences. In 2005, he received the first Honorable Medal presented at the Euro-Asian Jewish Congress in Jerusalem for his two-volume work, "Catalogue of Hebrew Incunabula from the Collection of the Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary of America" (New York and Jerusalem, 2004-2005). In 2009, he won the Antsiferov Award, an international prize in honor of the historian N.P. Antsiferov, for his overall contributions to the field of St. Petersburg studies for his most recent work, "Jewish Treasures of Petersburg: Scrolls, Codices, Documents."
- Related Resources
- African and Middle Eastern Division: https://www.loc.gov/rr/amed/
- Running Time
- 49 minutes 33 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Shimon Iakerson: Unique Hebrew Manuscripts. 2010. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4841/.
APA citation style:
(2010) Shimon Iakerson: Unique Hebrew Manuscripts. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4841/.
MLA citation style:
Shimon Iakerson: Unique Hebrew Manuscripts. 2010. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4841/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoAfricans & African-Americans in Germany A discussion on the pluralistic and multifaceted presence of Africa in Germany with visiting Fulbright Scholar, Magueye Kasse.
- Contributor: Kasse, Magueye
- Date: 2012-09-26
Film, VideoLady at the O.K. Corral: The True Story of Josephine Marcus Earp Ann Kirschner discussed her new book, "Lady at the O.K. Corral: The True Story of Josephine Marcus Earp."
- Contributor: Kirschner, Ann
- Date: 2013-03-18
Film, VideoProphet in a Time of Priests In celebration of Jewish American Heritage Month, Janice Rothschild Blumberg discussed her new book "Prophet in a Time of Priests."
- Contributor: Blumberg, Janice Rothschild
- Date: 2013-05-01
Film, VideoWho Are the Copts? Bishop Angaelos delivered a presentation on the Copts, the native Christians of Egypt.
- Contributor: Angaelos, Bishop
- Date: 2012-09-21
Film, VideoThe Life and Times of Hank Greenberg Aviva Kempner talked and showed film clips from a new special DVD edition of "The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg."
- Contributor: Kempner, Aviva
- Date: 2013-05-13