Film, Video On LOCation: Dafnis Prieto Si O Si Quartet
About this Item
- On LOCation: Dafnis Prieto Si O Si Quartet
- Concerts from the Library of Congress presents Dafnis Prieto's Si O Si Quartet with guest artist Christian Howes, on location at the new Atlas Performing Arts Center.
Si o Si (0:54)
Seven by Seven (18:37)
Mechanical Movement (46:57)
3 Poems 1 Song (54:18)
Just Go (1:04:15)
clave/vocal improvisation (1:15:30)
Trio Absolute (1:17:53)
Blah Blah (1:27:39)
- Event Date
- April 24, 2010
- - An Associate Professor at the Berklee College of Music, Christian Howes is widely regarded as one of the premiere young jazz violinists in the world. Having worked with such wide ranging artists as Les Paul, Bill Evans, Greg Osby, Dafnis Prieto, and many more, his classical training and wide range as an improvisor prepares him to meet the needs of producers in a wide array of genres from classical, jazz, hip hop, pop, "world music", and more.
- - Cuban-born composer and drummer Dafnis Prieto is unquestionably one of the important leaders of the New Latin Jazz movement. Prieto has wonderfully blurred the line between traditional Latin-jazz and twenty-first-century postbop, fusing Afro-Cuban rhythms and modern jazz harmonies. Prieto studied at the school of Fine Arts in Santa Clara as a youngster and later at the National School of Music in Havana. As a composer , he has created music for dance, film, chamber ensembles, and most notably for his own bands.
- Related Resources
- Dafnis Prieto: http://www.dafnisprieto.com External
- Concerts from the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/concert/0910-homepage.html
- Running Time
- 1 hours 35 minutes 58 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
On LOCation: Dafnis Prieto Si O Si Quartet. 2010. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4899/.
APA citation style:
(2010) On LOCation: Dafnis Prieto Si O Si Quartet. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4899/.
MLA citation style:
On LOCation: Dafnis Prieto Si O Si Quartet. 2010. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-4899/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoA Conversation With Dafnis Prieto and Larry Appelbaum Larry Appelbaum of the Library of Congress' Music Division interviews Dafnis Prieto.
- Contributor: Prieto, Dafnis - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2010-04-24
Film, VideoTwo Thousand Flutes An introduction to the Library's remarkable Dayton C. Miller Flute Collection: meet a few of the Library's nearly 2,000 instruments in this lecture-recital featuring flutist Lorna McGhee of the Pittsburgh Symphony, pianist...
- Contributor: Ward Bamford, Carol Lynn - Yanagitani, Ryo - McGhee, Lorna
- Date: 2015-05-02
Film, Video"The President's Own" United States Marine Band A survey of music for wind ensemble that includes some of the great composers for winds, such as Stravinsky and Mozart, with music by Oliver Knussen's colleagues Carter and Lieberson. Elliott Carter's...
- Contributor: U.S. Marine Band
- Date: 2014-04-12
Film, VideoAlban Gerhardt & Anne-Marie McDermott in Concert German cellist Alban Gerhardt is joined by American pianist Anne-Marie McDermott for a duo program. The repertoire includes Samuel Barber's Cello Sonata, op. 6, Benjamin Britten's Sonata in C major for cello...
- Contributor: Gerhardt, Alban - McDermott, Anne-Marie
- Date: 2016-01-16
Film, VideoBach Collegium Japan Bach guru Masaaki Suzuki brings his critically acclaimed Bach Collegium Japan to the Library for a mixed program of works by J.S. Bach, Vivaldi and Handel. The ensemble has a vast recording...
- Contributor: Bach Collegium Japan
- Date: 2015-11-04