Film, Video Poet Laureate W.S. Merwin Opens the Literary Season
About this Item
- Poet Laureate W.S. Merwin Opens the Literary Season
- W.S. Merwin, the newly-announced 17th Poet Laureate Consultant in Poetry to the Library of Congress, an undisputed master who has won nearly every major literary award, opens the Library's 2010-2011 literary season with a reading of his poetry.
- Event Date
- October 25, 2010
- - In a career spanning five decades, W.S. Merwin, poet, translator, and environmental activist, has become one of the most widely read - and imitated - poets in America.In July 2010, William Merwin was appointed United States Poet Laureate by the Librarian of Congress. He lives, writes, and gardens in Hawaii, on the island of Maui.
- Related Resources
- Poetry (Library of Congress) : http://www.loc.gov/poetry/
- Listing of Poets Laureate: http://www.loc.gov/poetry/laureate-2001-present.html
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 4 minutes, 23 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Poet Laureate W.S. Merwin Opens the Literary Season. 2010. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5090/.
APA citation style:
(2010) Poet Laureate W.S. Merwin Opens the Literary Season. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5090/.
MLA citation style:
Poet Laureate W.S. Merwin Opens the Literary Season. 2010. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5090/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoW.S. Merwin, Rebekah Johnson Bobbitt National Prize for Poetry Recipient, Reads From His Works
- Contributor: Merwin, W.S.
- Date: 2007-10-31
Film, VideoPoet Laureate W.S. Merwin Closes the Literary Season
- Contributor: Merwin, W.S.
- Date: 2011-05-04
Film, VideoWitter Bynner Fellows Poetry Reading 2011
- Contributor: Bringhurst, Robert - Gander, Forrest - Merwin, W.S.
- Date: 2011-04-21
Film, VideoBicentennial Symposium: Poetry & the American People
- Contributor: Pinsky, Robert - Shihab Nye, Naomi - Merwin, W.S. - Glück, Louise - Weiner, Joshua - Dove, Rita
- Date: 2000-04-04
Film, VideoJane Shore and Dabney Stuart Poetry Reading
- Contributor: Stuart, Dabney - Shore, Jane
- Date: 2008-10-23