Film, Video Building Model Modernities in Shanghai & Mumbai
About this Item
- Building Model Modernities in Shanghai & Mumbai
- Through the unique architectures of Shanghai and Mumbai, from their imperial origins to their current building booms, Black Mountain Institute fellow Daniel Brook examines the cities' volatile, continuing experiments in forging a Chinese and Indian modernity.
- Event Date
- December 08, 2010
- - Daniel Brook was born in Brooklyn, raised on Long Island, and educated at Yale. His first book, The Trap: Selling Out to Stay Afloat in Winner Take All America, was published by Times Books/Henry Holt & Company in 2007, and he received a Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting Fellowship in 2008. During the Kluge Fellowship, he will be writing about the architectural history and Westernization of St. Petersburg, Shanghai, Mumbai, and Dubai. His writing about politics, economics, and architecture has appeared in publications such as Harper's, San Francisco Chronicle, The Boston Globe, Slate, The Huffington Post, The Nation, and Dissent, among others. While at Yale, he won the 2000 Rolling Stone College Journalism Competition and received the John Hersey Prize for an outstanding body of nonfiction work. He lives in Philadelphia.
- Related Resources
- John W. Kluge Center: https://www.loc.gov/loc/kluge/
- Running Time
- 55 minutes 32 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Building Model Modernities in Shanghai & Mumbai. 2010. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5110/.
APA citation style:
(2010) Building Model Modernities in Shanghai & Mumbai. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5110/.
MLA citation style:
Building Model Modernities in Shanghai & Mumbai. 2010. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5110/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoA History of Future Cities Daniel Brook talked about his recently published book, which reports on the history and growth of four "instant cities" - Dubai, St. Petersburg, Shanghai and Mumbai.
- Contributor: Brook, Daniel
- Date: 2013-04-15
Film, VideoCroatia: Partnerships, Priorities and Progress Kolinda Grabar-Kitarovic, Croatian minister for foreign affairs and European integration, gave a speech titled "Croatia: Partnerships, Priorities and Progress" in a lecture sponsored by the John W. Kluge Center. In October 2005,...
- Contributor: Grabar-Kitarovic, Kolinda
- Date: 2006-02-14
Film, VideoKim Jong-il and North Korean Films Suk-Young Kim, a fellow at the John W. Kluge Center, Library of Congress, presents a program that provides insight on North Korean culture, politics and the leadership of Kim Jong-il titled "Kim...
- Contributor: Kim, Suk-Young
- Date: 2007-06-26
Film, VideoFor the Eyes of the Dear Leader: Fashion and Body Politics in North Korean Visual Arts Suk-Young Kim, a fellow at the John W. Kluge Center, Library of Congress, presents a program that provides insight on North Korean culture, politics and the leadership of Kim Jong-il titled "For...
- Contributor: Kim, Suk-Young
- Date: 2007-06-27
Film, VideoModern Japanese Arts and Crafts in Kyoto: From Asai Chu to Yagi Kazuo Contact with the West transformed art in Japan during the first half of the 20th century, especially in the works of the painter Asai Chu (1856-1907) and the ceramicist and teacher Yagi...
- Contributor: Inaga, Shigemi
- Date: 2007-06-07