Film, Video Joaquim Nabuco Seminar (English)
About this Item
- Joaquim Nabuco Seminar (English)
- This seminar examines the life and career of Joaquim Nabuco, a leader of the abolitionist movement in Brazil and later Brazil's first ambassador to the United States. (This seminar is also available in Portuguese, see below.)
- November 23, 2010
- - Mauricio Rands is a member of the Brazilian Congress.
- - Ivo Pitanguy is a philanthropist and plastic surgeon based in Rio de Janeiro.
- - David K. Jackson is professor and director of Undergraduate Studies of Portuguese at the University of Wisconsin at Madison.
- - Leslie Bethell is Emeritus Professor of Latin American History and Honorary Research Fellow of the Institute for the Study of the Americas, University of London; Emeritus Fellow of St Antony's College, Oxford; and Senior Research Associate, Centro de Pesquisa e Documentacao de Historia Contemporanea do Brasil, Fundacao Getulio Vargas, Rio de Janeiro.
- - James Hadley Billington is 13th Librarian of Congress, a position he has held since 1987.
- - Prior to being appointed Ambassador to the United States, Ambassador Mauro Vieira was the Brazilian Ambassador to Argentina since 2004. He holds a JD from the Federal University of Rio de Janeiro and graduated from Instituto Rio-Branco, the Brazilian diplomatic academy. At the Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Relations, Ambassador Vieira has had several positions, including Chief of Staff to the Secretary General, and Chief of Staff to the Minister of External Relations. From January 2003 to May 2006, he was the representative of the Brazilian Ministry of External Relations to the Board of Directors of Itaipu Binacional hydroelectric power plant.
- Joaquim Nabuco Seminar (Portuguese): https://www.loc.gov/today/cyberlc/feature_wdesc.php?rec=5113
- 3 hours 7 minutes 3 seconds
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Joaquim Nabuco Seminar English. 2010. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5112/.
APA citation style:
(2010) Joaquim Nabuco Seminar English. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5112/.
MLA citation style:
Joaquim Nabuco Seminar English. 2010. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5112/>.