Film, Video Letter of Alfred North Whitehead
About this Item
- Letter of Alfred North Whitehead
- A rare, six-page letter written by Alfred North Whitehead, one of the major philosophers and mathematicians of the 20th century, was the subject of a half-day symposium at the Library of Congress. The letter was recently donated to the Library and will be housed in the Manuscript Division. The symposium focused on the historical context of the letter and on Whitehead and his intellectual focus in a number of fields. Speakers included Roland Faber, George Lucas, Michael Epperson, David Finkelstein, Derek Malone-France, Ron Phipps, Timothy Eastman and Henry S. Leonard, Jr.
- Event Date
- February 17, 2011
- Related Resources
- Manuscript Division: https://www.loc.gov/rr/mss/
- Running Time
- 3 hours 18 minutes 3 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Letter of Alfred North Whitehead. 2011. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5200/.
APA citation style:
(2011) Letter of Alfred North Whitehead. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5200/.
MLA citation style:
Letter of Alfred North Whitehead. 2011. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5200/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoThe NAACP: Reflections on the First 100 Years In commemoration of 100 years of the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People), the Library of Congress sponsored the symposium "The NAACP: Reflections of the First 100 Years." The...
- Contributor: Mack, Kenneth W. - Sullivan, Patricia - Zangrando, Robert L.
- Date: 2010-02-26
Film, VideoWhitman and Place The Library of Congress Manuscript Division presented a symposium titled "Whitman and Place," held in conjunction with the Library's exhibition "Revising Himself: Walt Whitman and Leaves of Grass." Topics of discussion were...
- Contributor: Genoways, Ted - Pannapacker, William - Krieg, Joann
- Date: 2005-11-03
Film, VideoWalt Whitman's Elegy for Lincoln A reading of Whitman's great "Lilacs" elegy was the first event in the Library's 2005 celebrations marking the sesquicentennary of Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" and was presented by Alice L. Birney,...
- Contributor: Winslow, Rosemary - Birney, Alice
- Date: 2005-03-25
Film, VideoPresident Warren Harding's Love Letters A collection of approximately 1,000 pages of love letters between 29th U.S. President Warren G. Harding and his mistress, Carrie Fulton Phillips, is examined. Historian James D. Robenalt and archivist Karen Linn...
- Date: 2014-07-22
Film, VideoThe Evil Genius of Psychoanalysis The mutual analysis between Dr. Sándor Ferenczi and Elizabeth Severn, which took place from 1925 to 1933, is considered one of the most controversial episodes in psychoanalytic history. The unconventional relationship between...
- Date: 2014-06-20