Film, Video Politics of Nixon & Obama
About this Item
- Politics of Nixon & Obama
- Klaus Larres discusses how the 1970s, like today, were characterized by controversial military engagements, deep political divisions and severe financial disruptions. Larres describes the Nixon/Kissinger approach to overcoming U.S. "decline" in an increasingly multilateral world and analyzes whether this approach is still relevant for the current administration.
- Event Date
- September 29, 2011
- - Klaus Larres, former holder of the Henry Alfred Kissinger Chair in Foreign Policy and International Relations at the Kluge Center, has returned to the center as distinguished visiting scholar. Frequently called upon as a speaker, panelist and commentator on both current and past European-American relations and the history of the Cold War, Larres is also a senior research fellow at the Center for Transatlantic Relations and visiting professor at The Johns Hopkins University's School of Advanced International Studies. Larres is a professor of history and international affairs at the University of Ulster in Northern Ireland. Previously, he was a professor in international relations at the University of London and the Jean Monnet Professor at Queen's University, Belfast. Larres has held fellowships and visiting professorships at a number of prestigious academic institutions and "think tanks." Larres has published widely on transatlantic relations during the Cold War and the post-Cold War years.
- Related Resources
- John W. Kluge Center: https://www.loc.gov/kluge/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 16 minutes 59 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Politics of Nixon & Obama. 2011. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5335/.
APA citation style:
(2011) Politics of Nixon & Obama. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5335/.
MLA citation style:
Politics of Nixon & Obama. 2011. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5335/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoHistory as a Way of Life: Jurgen Kocka in Conversation with Klaus Larres Two distinguished historians discuss German and American historiography at the Library of Congress. The historians focus on Kocka's contributions to the rise of social history, which became the dominant force in contemporary...
- Contributor: Larres, Klaus - Kocka, Jurgen
- Date: 2010-05-18
Film, VideoScholarfest S4: War/Peace: Perspectives on the Concept of World Order from Former Kissinger Chairs As part of the two-day celebration of the 15th anniversary of the John W. Kluge Center at the Library of Congress, five 10-minute rapid-fire "lightning conversations" (followed by 30 minutes of moderated...
- Contributor: Evans, Alexander - Fordham, Benjamin - Szelényi, Balázs - Bockman, Johanna - De Pero, Mario - Mason, Robert - Larres, Klaus - Goldgeier, James - Leffler, Melvyn - Alexseev, Mikhail
- Date: 2015-06-11
Film, VideoHow Indigenous Mexicans Engaged with Christian Texts through Art and Literature Ignacio Sanchez Prado interviews Kislak Chair Louise Burkhart on her career studying the ways in which Indigenous Mexicans experienced, engaged with, and manipulated the Christian texts and teachings introduced under Spanish colonial...
- Contributor: Haskell, John - Burkhart, Louise - Sanchez Prado, Ignacio
- Date: 2021-10-21
Film, VideoKluge Prize Address From Recipient Danielle Allen Danielle Allen delivers an address titled "Educating for American Democracy," in which she considers the role of education in fostering a common purpose in American society. At a time when the idea...
- Contributor: Haskell, John - Allen, Danielle - Hayden, Carla
- Date: 2021-11-16
Film, VideoThe U.S. Natural Gas Market: Lessons for a Global Market Michael Ratner, Congressional Research Service energy policy specialist, will discuss his research on how, since the advent of shale gas, the United States has become the world's largest producer and consumer of...
- Contributor: Haskell, John - Ratner, Michael - Yacobucci, Brent
- Date: 2021-12-02