Film, Video Pakistan's Strategic Culture & U.S.-Pakistan Relations
About this Item
- Pakistan's Strategic Culture & U.S.-Pakistan Relations
- Drawing on archival research, Alexander Evans discusses how Pakistan understands its strategic interests and what this means for U.S.-Pakistan relations. How much can the United States influence Pakistan's foreign and domestic policy choices? Are there broader lessons about the nature of U.S. foreign policy and America's ability to effect change overseas?
- Event Date
- November 17, 2011
- - Alexander Evans OBE is a counsellor in the British diplomatic service and a senior fellow at Yale's Jackson Institute for Global Affairs. He was the 2011-12 Henry A. Kissinger Chair in Foreign Policy and International Relations at the Library of Congress, and previously worked at the Department of State as a senior advisor, first to Ambassador Richard Holbrooke and then to Ambassador Marc Grossman, the U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan and Pakistan. Before working for the U.S. Alexander served as a British diplomat in Islamabad and New Delhi and as a member of the Policy Planning Staff, London. He worked on former Prime Minister Tony Blair's 2007 policy review, Britain in the World, and was seconded to the Consular Crisis Team coordinating the Lebanon evacuation in the summer of 2006. He was also secretary to the Permanent Secretaries Management Group strategy sub-group. Alexander has been visiting, researching and writing on South Asia since the early 1990s.
- Related Resources
- John W. Kluge Center: http://www.loc.gov/kluge/
- Running Time
- 39 minutes, 19 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Pakistan's Strategic Culture & U.S.-Pakistan Relations. 2011. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5415/.
APA citation style:
(2011) Pakistan's Strategic Culture & U.S.-Pakistan Relations. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5415/.
MLA citation style:
Pakistan's Strategic Culture & U.S.-Pakistan Relations. 2011. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5415/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoContemporary Diplomacy
- Contributor: McCarrick, Theodore - Pettina, Vanni - Luna, Ricardo - De Soto, Alvaro - Evans, Alexander
- Date: 2011-12-01
Film, VideoScholarfest S4: War/Peace: Perspectives on the Concept of World Order from Former Kissinger Chairs
- Contributor: De Pero, Mario - Fordham, Benjamin - Szelényi, Balázs - Bockman, Johanna - Evans, Alexander - Mason, Robert - Larres, Klaus - Goldgeier, James - Leffler, Melvyn - Alexseev, Mikhail
- Date: 2015-06-11
Film, VideoWhat Remains: Coming to Terms with Civil War in 19th Century China
- Contributor: Meyer-Fong, Tobie
- Date: 2013-05-22
Film, VideoStudent Rights & the School Environment from a Jurisprudential Perspective
- Contributor: Blokhuis, J.C.
- Date: 2013-06-27
Film, VideoJews & New Christians in Portuguese Asia 1500-1700
- Contributor: Subrahmanyam, Sanjay
- Date: 2013-06-05