Film, Video Traditional Chinese Zheng Music from Florida
About this Item
- Traditional Chinese Zheng Music from Florida
- Ann Yao plays the zheng, a long, horizontal plucked zither that is one the most ancient musical instruments in China. She is joined in this performance by Wang Guowei playing the erhu, a two-stringed fiddle, and by Chen Yihan, playing the pipa, a pear-shaped lute.
- Event Date
- July 27, 2011
- - Born into a family of musicians in Shanghai, Ann Yao grew up immersed in Chinese folk and classical music. She moved to the U.S. in 1985, and began performing as a zheng soloist at Disneyworld's Epcot Center in the early 1990s. She has performed at Lincoln Center, Carnegie Hall, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and other venues with the innovative ensemble Music From China, which promotes modern Chinese musical culture while preserving ancient Chinese music. Yao has also participated in a documentary project about Tang-era (618-907 A.D.) music, and has performed premier works featuring Yo-Yo Ma, Chen Yi, Tan Dun, Zhou Long, among others. She participated as a master artist in the Florida Folklife Apprenticeship Program in 1999 and 2008, and was recognized as a Florida Heritage Award Winner in 2009.
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 10 minutes 48 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Traditional Chinese Zheng Music from Florida. 2011. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5416/.
APA citation style:
(2011) Traditional Chinese Zheng Music from Florida. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5416/.
MLA citation style:
Traditional Chinese Zheng Music from Florida. 2011. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5416/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoCarter Family Tribute
- Contributor: Carter Family
- Date: 2005-09-20
Film, VideoHarmonia: Music of the Danube to the Carpathians from Ohio
- Date: 2013-07-11
Film, VideoLibaya Baba: Garifuna Music & Dance from California & New York
- Contributor: Palacio, Greg - Bernardez, Jeffrey - Bernardez, Kelsey - Bernardez, Dayton
- Date: 2013-07-02
Film, VideoThe Singing & Praying Band: African American a Capella Sacred Music from Delaware and Maryland
- Contributor: Singing & Praying Band
- Date: 2012-08-23
Film, VideoAn-Sky Ensemble Oral History
- Contributor: Alpert, Michael - Rushefsky, Pete - Shulman-Ment, Jake - Raim, Ethel
- Date: 2013-06-25