Film, Video Literary Birthday Celebration: Langston Hughes
About this Item
- Literary Birthday Celebration: Langston Hughes
- Poets Dolores Kendrick and Evie Shockley celebrate the birthday of American poet Langston Hughes by reading selections from his work and discussing his influence on their own writing.
- Event Date
- February 01, 2012
- - Evie Shockley is the author of two books of poetry, "the new black" and "a half-red sea" (Carolina Wren Press, 2006), and two chapbooks, "31 words * prose poems" and "The Gorgon Goddess."
- - Dolores Kendrick is poet laureate of the District of Columbia. She is the author of the award-winning "The Women of Plums: Poems in the Voices of Slave Women," as well as "Why the Woman Is Singing on the Corner: A Verse Narrative," a collection of poems on homeless women. Kendrick has received a National Endowment for the Arts fellowship and the George Kent Award for Literature; she is the first Vira I. Heinz professor emerita at Phillips Exeter Academy.
- Related Resources
- Poetry & Literature at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/poetry/
- Running Time
- 49 minutes 37 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Literary Birthday Celebration: Langston Hughes. 2012. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5448/.
APA citation style:
(2012) Literary Birthday Celebration: Langston Hughes. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5448/.
MLA citation style:
Literary Birthday Celebration: Langston Hughes. 2012. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5448/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoPoetry of Philip Levine and Delores Kendrick Poets Philip Levine and Delores Kendrick read selections from their work. Accompanying Kendrick during her recital were musicians from the Capitol City Symphony: harpist Michael O'Harlin, violinists Maurice Gatewood and Masaya Uchino,...
- Contributor: Kendrick, Dolores - Levine, Philip
- Date: 2007-05-24
Film, VideoPoetry, Publishing & Race Poets and editors discuss the ways poetry helps navigate race in contemporary American culture.
- Contributor: Hong, Cathy Park - Smith, Carmen Gimenez - Shockley, Evie - Share, Don
- Date: 2016-10-18
Film, VideoDolores Kendrick: 2011 National Book Festival Dolores Kendrick appears at the 2011 National Book Festival.
- Contributor: Kendrick, Dolores
- Date: 2011-09-25
Film, VideoLiterature in Conversation: Fred Arroyo and Maria Melendez Authors Fred Arroyo and Maria Melendez read selections from their works.
- Date: 2013-04-11
Film, VideoLiterary Birthday Celebration: Paul Laurence Dunbar Poets Holly Bass and Al Young celebrate the birthday of American poet Paul Laurence Dunbar by reading selections from his work and discussing his influence on their own writing.
- Contributor: Young, AL - Bass, Holly
- Date: 2013-06-27