Film, Video Unukupukupu Halau Hula
About this Item
- Unukupukupu Halau Hula
- Unukupukupu is the traditional Halau Hula (Hula School) of Hawai`i Community College, Hilo, Hawai`i. Here ancient dances and songs, rooted in the sacred `Aiha`a Pele (Ritual Dance of Volcanic Phenomena) intermingle with the rigor of academic inquiry. To experience the particular fiery style of hula termed `Aiha`a Pele, one is trained to call up the fire within the body and to dance until sweat shines at the temples and forehead. Under the cultural and academic stewardship of Dr. Taupouri Tangaroto, Unukupukupu is a community of traditional dancers functionally aware that Hula is one of the world's sacred dances of environmental kinship and global connections.
- Event Date
- June 26, 2012
- Related Resources
- Hawai`i Community College: http://www.hawaii.hawaii.edu/hls/hula/ External
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 10 minutes 22 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Unukupukupu Halau Hula. 2012. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5648/.
APA citation style:
(2012) Unukupukupu Halau Hula. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5648/.
MLA citation style:
Unukupukupu Halau Hula. 2012. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5648/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoCantos de mi canton (Songs from My Home): Chicano Music from California
- Contributor: Alma, Agustin Lira and - Quetzal (Band), Quetzal
- Date: 2011-09-14
Film, VideoTraditional Chinese Zheng Music from Florida
- Contributor: Yao, Ann
- Date: 2011-07-27
Film, VideoBen Payton and the Thundering Harps
- Contributor: Payton, Ben
- Date: 2011-05-25
Film, VideoTony Ellis & the Musicians of Braeburn
- Contributor: Ellis, Tony
- Date: 2011-06-22
Film, VideoTim Tingle & D.J. Battiest-Tomasi
- Contributor: Tingle, Tim - Battiest-Tomasi, D.J.
- Date: 2011-06-29