Film, Video Interview with José James
About this Item
- Interview with José James
- The Library's Larry Appelbaum talks with singer and songwriter José James.
- Event Date
- May 12, 2012
- - Larry Appelbaum is a senior music reference librarian and jazz specialist in the Music Division at the Library of Congress.
- - José James is a Minneapolis-born, New York-based singer and songwriter known for fusing jazz, hip-hop, R&B and electronica. He has recorded with Junior Mance and Chico Hamilton, and he was signed to Blue Note Records one week before this interview was shot.
- Related Resources
- Music & Performing Arts at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 7 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Interview with José James. 2012. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5701/.
APA citation style:
(2012) Interview with José James. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5701/.
MLA citation style:
Interview with José James. 2012. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5701/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoA Conversation with Henry Threadgill Larry Appelbaum interviews composer and multi-instrumentalist Henry Threadgill about his musical upbringing in Chicago, the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (AACM), the story of his life-changing experience in Vietnam, his...
- Contributor: Threadgill, Henry - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2013-10-26
Film, VideoCelebration of Machito: Mario Grillo On June 1, 2015, Machito's son, Mario Grillo, donated Machito's handwritten scores and arrangements to the Library of Congress. Grillo discusses his father's contributions to American music.
- Contributor: Grillo, Mario - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2015-06-01
Film, VideoJazz Conversation: Argentine Pianist & Composer Guillermo Klein Argentine pianist and composer Guillermo Klein talks with Library of Congress music specialist Larry Appelbaum.
- Contributor: Klein, Guillermo - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2008-02-29
Film, VideoMaria Schneider on the Creative Process Jazz artist Maria Schneider discusses her approach to the creative process and her collaboration with David Bowie in an interview with Larry Appelbaum. Recorded in conjunction with the world premiere of Schneider's...
- Contributor: Schneider, Maria - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2016-04-12
Film, VideoDianne Reeves Interview Grammy Award-winning vocalist Dianne Reeves discusses her career and interpretations of Ella Fitzgerald's music. This interview was filmed in conjunction with Reeves' concert at the Library, "Dianne Reeves Sings Ella," a commemoration...
- Contributor: Reeves, Dianne - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2017-03-31