Film, Video Interview with José James
About this Item
- Interview with José James
- The Library's Larry Appelbaum talks with singer and songwriter José James.
- Event Date
- May 12, 2012
- - Larry Appelbaum is a senior music reference librarian and jazz specialist in the Music Division at the Library of Congress.
- - José James is a Minneapolis-born, New York-based singer and songwriter known for fusing jazz, hip-hop, R&B and electronica. He has recorded with Junior Mance and Chico Hamilton, and he was signed to Blue Note Records one week before this interview was shot.
- Related Resources
- Music & Performing Arts at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 7 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Interview with José James. 2012. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5701/.
APA citation style:
(2012) Interview with José James. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5701/.
MLA citation style:
Interview with José James. 2012. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5701/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoCelebration of Machito: Mario Grillo On June 1, 2015, Machito's son, Mario Grillo, donated Machito's handwritten scores and arrangements to the Library of Congress. Grillo discusses his father's contributions to American music.
- Contributor: Grillo, Mario - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2015-06-01
Film, VideoA Conversation with Henry Threadgill Larry Appelbaum interviews composer and multi-instrumentalist Henry Threadgill about his musical upbringing in Chicago, the Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (AACM), the story of his life-changing experience in Vietnam, his...
- Contributor: Threadgill, Henry - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2013-10-26
Film, VideoConversation with Andrew White Larry Appelbaum talks with multi-instrumentalist, composer, author and publisher Andrew White, touching on the artist's studies in classical music and jazz at Howard University, Tanglewood and the Paris Conservatory, and nearly 60...
- Contributor: White, Andrew - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2016-11-11
Film, VideoJazz Conversation: Ron Carter & Larry Appelbaum The Library's Larry Appelbaum talks with legendary jazz bassist Ron Carter.
- Contributor: Carter, Ron - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2012-10-17
Film, VideoJazz Scholar John Szwed Larry Appelbaum speaks with jazz scholar and anthropologist John Szwed in a wide-ranging interview about Szwed's background and interests. Their discussion includes topics such as Jelly Roll Morton, Miles Davis, Billie Holiday,...
- Contributor: Szwed, John - Appelbaum, Larry
- Date: 2017-04-17