Film, Video Looking Homeward Towards Earth: The Power of Perspective
About this Item
- Looking Homeward Towards Earth: The Power of Perspective
- In 1968, Apollo 8 astronaut William Anders took an image of planet Earth as it emerged from the lunar horizon. The picture, "Earthrise," changed forever society's view of our celestial home, according to NASA Chief Scientist Waleed Abdalati. The image of Earth--beautiful and vulnerable, and suspended in dark stillness--inspired an appreciation that there is one human race, whose fate hinges delicately on mankind's collective actions. Abdalati demonstrates the tremendous power of the space-based perspective in science, exploration and in daily life.
- Event Date
- October 16, 2012
- - Waleed Abdalati was appointed NASA chief scientist on Jan. 3, 2011, serving as the principal adviser to NASA Administrator Charles Bolden on NASA science programs, strategic planning and the evaluation of related investments. He left NASA at the end of 2012.
- Related Resources
- Science, Technology & Business Division: http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 9 minutes, 37 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Looking Homeward Towards Earth: The Power of Perspective. 2012. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5773/.
APA citation style:
(2012) Looking Homeward Towards Earth: The Power of Perspective. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5773/.
MLA citation style:
Looking Homeward Towards Earth: The Power of Perspective. 2012. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5773/>.