Film, Video The Will to Adorn: Reflections on African American Identity and the Aesthetics of Dress
About this Item
- The Will to Adorn: Reflections on African American Identity and the Aesthetics of Dress
- Diana N'Diaye shares stories, observations, and insights from "The Will to Adorn," a community-centered research and public presentation project, which explores and examines the diversity of African American cultural identities as expressed through traditional arts of the body, dress, and adornment.
- Event Date
- January 30, 2013
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 1 minutes 21 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Will to Adorn: Reflections on African American Identity and the Aesthetics of Dress. 2013. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5836/.
APA citation style:
(2013) The Will to Adorn: Reflections on African American Identity and the Aesthetics of Dress. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5836/.
MLA citation style:
The Will to Adorn: Reflections on African American Identity and the Aesthetics of Dress. 2013. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5836/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoAmerican Roots: Hairdressers & Beauty Shop Culture in America
- Contributor: Taylor, Candacy
- Date: 2014-05-01
Film, VideoFolk Music, Archives & Performing: Experiences, Adventures & Great Stories
- Contributor: Hickerson, Joe
- Date: 2014-07-15
Film, VideoNew Ideas of Music Ownership & the Musical Life of the Kïsêdjê
- Contributor: Seeger, Anthony
- Date: 2015-04-08
Film, VideoListen to Our Story: Alan Lomax, Folk Producer/Folk Promoter
- Contributor: Salsburg, Nathan
- Date: 2015-06-10
Film, VideoBourgeois Town: Lead Belly in Washington DC
- Contributor: Harvey, Todd - Dean, Terika - Singh, Alvin
- Date: 2015-04-24