Film, Video Lincoln's Code: The Laws of War in American History
About this Item
- Lincoln's Code: The Laws of War in American History
- John Fabian Witt signed and discussed his book, "Lincoln's Code: The Laws of War in American History," which describes Lincoln's development of a code regulating conduct in war whose articles later became the basis for a new international law of war.
- Event Date
- April 09, 2013
- - John Fabian Witt is the Allen H. Duffy Class of 1960 Professor of Law at Yale Law School. He writes in the history of American law and in torts. His books include "Patriots and Cosmopolitans: Hidden Histories of American Law" and "The Accidental Republic: Crippled Workingmen, Destitute Widows and the Remaking of American Law." He has written articles for the American Historical Review, the Columbia Law Review, the Harvard Law Review, the Yale Law Journal and other scholarly journals. His writing has appeared in The New York Times, Slate and The Washington Post and he has been a guest on NPR's "All Things Considered." In 2010 he was awarded a John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellowship for his project on the laws of war in American history.
- Related Resources
- Event Press Release: http://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2013/13-056.html
- Center for the Book: http://www.read.gov/cfb/
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 1 minutes, 55 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Lincoln's Code: The Laws of War in American History. 2013. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5904/.
APA citation style:
(2013) Lincoln's Code: The Laws of War in American History. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5904/.
MLA citation style:
Lincoln's Code: The Laws of War in American History. 2013. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5904/>.