Film, Video NDIIIPP Special Event: Ian MacKaye
About this Item
- NDIIIPP Special Event: Ian MacKaye
- Groundbreaking singer, songwriter and guitarist Ian MacKaye spoke at the Library of Congress on personal digital archiving and the need to educate creators and users in ways to steward our digital cultural heritage.
- Event Date
- May 07, 2013
- - As both performer and producer, MacKaye has documented music coming out of the Washington, D.C. underground for the past 30 years. MacKaye founded Dischord Records as a teenager in 1980 with partner Jeff Nelson. Their original intent was simply to release a single to document their recently defunct band, The Teen Idles. The label has since gone on to release music from more than 60 bands, with more than 160 albums during the past 25 years. In the process, the label performed a citizen-archivist role, documenting Washington-area music in many forms and catalyzing cultural activity and community-building in the nation's capital and around the world.
- Related Resources
- Preservation at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/preservation/
- Event Press Release: https://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2013/13-080.html
- Running Time
- 1 hours 27 minutes 13 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
NDIIIPP Special Event: Ian MacKaye. 2013. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5905/.
APA citation style:
(2013) NDIIIPP Special Event: Ian MacKaye. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5905/.
MLA citation style:
NDIIIPP Special Event: Ian MacKaye. 2013. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5905/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoIntegrating Analytical Tools in Treatment Decision-making for Verdigris Corrosion
- Contributor: Brostoff, Lynn - Bertonaschi, John - Albro, Sylvia
- Date: 2013-07-10
Film, VideoBuilding a Custom Storage Box
- Contributor: None
- Date: 2017-04-10
Film, VideoBroken Cylinders
- Contributor: Monroe, Eric
- Date: 2017-05-22
Film, VideoFrom Words to Diagrams: Visualization of Historical Bookbinding
- Contributor: Campagnolo, Alberto
- Date: 2017-04-12
Film, VideoOpen Arms: Expanding the Cultural Emergency Preparedness Community
- Contributor: Clareson, Tom
- Date: 2017-04-25