Film, Video Spectral Imaging at St. Catherine's Monastery to Reveal Ancient Texts
About this Item
- Spectral Imaging at St. Catherine's Monastery to Reveal Ancient Texts
- Father Justin Sinaites and Michael B. Toth discussed how advanced hyperspectral imaging is revealing ancient texts in the library at St. Catherine's, a remote Greek Orthodox monastery in Egypt's Sinai desert.
- Event Date
- November 19, 2012
- - Michael B. Toth is the program manager of the Sinai Palimpsest Project.
- - Father Justin Sinaites is the librarian at St. Catherine's Monastery.
- Related Resources
- Preservation at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/preservation/
- Running Time
- 2 hours 2 minutes 50 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Spectral Imaging at St. Catherine's Monastery to Reveal Ancient Texts. 2012. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5923/.
APA citation style:
(2012) Spectral Imaging at St. Catherine's Monastery to Reveal Ancient Texts. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5923/.
MLA citation style:
Spectral Imaging at St. Catherine's Monastery to Reveal Ancient Texts. 2012. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5923/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoFrom Decayed Parchment to 'Bit Rot' -- Challenges in Digitizing Archimedes
- Contributor: Emery, Doug - Toth, Michael
- Date: 2009-01-22
Film, VideoShedding Light on Antiquity: The Forensic Imaging and Study of Ancient, Medieval and Modern Manuscripts
- Contributor: Noel, William - Hessler, John - France, Fenella - Van Duzer, Chet - Toth, Michael
- Date: 2015-04-09
Film, VideoIntegrating Analytical Tools in Treatment Decision-making for Verdigris Corrosion
- Contributor: Brostoff, Lynn - Bertonaschi, John - Albro, Sylvia
- Date: 2013-07-10
Film, VideoBuilding a Custom Storage Box
- Contributor: None
- Date: 2017-04-10
Film, VideoBroken Cylinders
- Contributor: Monroe, Eric
- Date: 2017-05-22