Film, Video Preconcert Talk: David Nelson & Chaya Czernowin
About this Item
- Preconcert Talk: David Nelson & Chaya Czernowin
- Composer Chaya Czernowin and Orchestra 2001 percussionist David Nelson discuss an evening concert of works by George Crumb and a Library of Congress Dina Koston and Roger Shapiro Fund for New Music commission by Czernowin, "Slow Summer Stay II: Lakes" (2012).
- Event Date
- May 03, 2013
- - Israeli composer Chaya Czernowin has been a professor of composition at Harvard University since 2009. Previous teaching posts include the University of Music and Performing Arts in Vienna, University of California San Diego, Yoshiro Irino Institute in Tokyo and the International Summer Courses for New Music in Darmstadt. Her opera "Prima...ins Innere," which was composed for the Munich Biennial in 2000, received the Bavarian Theatre Prize. Her other operas have been performed at the Salzburg Festival and Festspielhaus Hellerau in Dresden. Her chamber and vocal works have been commissioned by IRCAM, Ensemble Modern and Sospeso. Czernowin has received numerous awards for her compositions, including the Kranichstein Music Prize (1992), Asahi Shimbun Fellowship Prize (1993), the Schloss Solitue Fellowship (1996), the IRCAM reading panel (1998), the Encouragement Prize by the Ernst von Siemens Music Foundation (2003), the Rockefeller Foundation Prize (2004), the Fromm Foundation Award (2008), a nomination of the Berlin Wissenschaftskolleg (2008) and a Guggenheim Fellowship Award (2011). Czernowin has been composer-in-residence at the Lucerne and Salzburg Festivals.
- - David Nelson is a Philadelphia-based percussionist with Orchestra 2001. A graduate of Temple University, he has performed with the Philadelphia Orchestra, Philadelphia Pops Orchestra, Opera Company of Philadelphia, Delaware Symphony, Charleston Symphony, Savannah Symphony, New World Symphony and the Honolulu Symphony.
- Related Resources
- Music & Performing Arts at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/
- Running Time
- 50 minutes 46 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Preconcert Talk: David Nelson & Chaya Czernowin. 2013. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5950/.
APA citation style:
(2013) Preconcert Talk: David Nelson & Chaya Czernowin. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5950/.
MLA citation style:
Preconcert Talk: David Nelson & Chaya Czernowin. 2013. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-5950/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoPre-Concert Conversation with St. Lawrence String Quartet
- Contributor: St. Lawrence String Quartet
- Date: 2014-10-24
Film, VideoGeorge Lewis on his Library of Congress Commission, "The Mangle of Practice"
- Contributor: Lewis, George
- Date: 2014-10-30
Film, VideoPre-Concert Conversation with Jefferson Friedman
- Contributor: Friedman, Jefferson
- Date: 2014-12-05
Film, VideoPre-Concert Conversation with Matthias Maute of Ensemble Caprice
- Contributor: Maute, Matthias
- Date: 2014-11-21
Film, VideoPre-Concert Conversation with Oliver Knussen & Marc Neikrug
- Contributor: Knussen, Oliver - Nikrug, Marc
- Date: 2014-04-11