Film, Video Flatpick Guitar & Fiddle Music from Kanawha County, W.Va.
About this Item
- Flatpick Guitar & Fiddle Music from Kanawha County, W.Va.
- Bobby Taylor, Robert Shafer and Robin Kessinger, three of the Kanawha Valley's best traditional musicians, have played together over many years at various musical events in the Valley and throughout West Virginia. They were heavily influenced by the musical talents of Clark Kessinger, a world renowned fiddler. Clark Kessinger recorded many tunes on the Brunswick label from 1928 to 1930, and later, five albums in the 1960s. Kessinger lived near where Robert, Robin and Bobby grew up in the Kanawha Valley, and Robin is his great nephew. This trio uses Clark's beautiful arrangements as a foundation for the music they play. Just like Clark Kessinger, who used every technique possible, they continue to explore new and exciting ways to play the great old tunes.
- Event Date
- August 16, 2012
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife
- Running Time
- 1 hours 6 minutes 35 seconds
- Online Format
- Original Format
- film, video
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Flatpick Guitar & Fiddle Music from Kanawha County, W.Va. 2012. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6022/.
APA citation style:
(2012) Flatpick Guitar & Fiddle Music from Kanawha County, W.Va. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6022/.
MLA citation style:
Flatpick Guitar & Fiddle Music from Kanawha County, W.Va. 2012. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6022/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoEsma Redžepova & Folk Masters Play Romani (Gypsy) & Macedonian Music
- Contributor: The Folk Masters - Redžepova, Esma
- Date: 2016-04-20
Film, VideoSoumya Chakraverty & Devapriya Nayak: Traditional Hindustani Music from Virginia
- Contributor: Nayak (Debu), Devapriya - Chakraverty, Soumya
- Date: 2016-05-06
Film, VideoNOKA: Basque Song & Music from California
- Contributor: Noka
- Date: 2016-07-06
Film, VideoThe Legendary Ingramettes: African American Gospel Music from Virginia
- Contributor: The Ingramettes
- Date: 2016-07-21
Film, VideoNakotah LaRance: Native American Hoop Dancing
- Contributor: Larance, Nakotah
- Date: 2016-05-18