Film, Video What the Autograph Can Tell Us: Beethoven's Sonata in E Major, Opus 109
About this Item
- What the Autograph Can Tell Us: Beethoven's Sonata in E Major, Opus 109
- One of the treasures of the Library's collection of composers' autographs is the manuscript of Ludwig van Beethoven's late E major piano sonata. William Meredith presents a fascinating event with a distinguished collaborator, Malcolm Bilson, as partner. The talk and performance focuses on elements of the creative process visible in Beethoven's manuscript score, and some interesting details it can reveal about what Beethoven does not want the composer to do.
- Event Date
- September 10, 2011
- - William Meredith is the founding director of the Ira F. Brilliant Center for Beethoven Studies at San Jose State University, which opened to the public in 1985. He is editor of The Beethoven Journal and the scholarly monograph series American Beethoven Studies. He is currently working with Robin Wallace and Wayne Senner on the German reception history of Beethoven's music. He first studied the autograph of the Sonata Opus 109 when he was writing his dissertation on the compositional process of the work at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- - A professor at the Music Department at Cornell University since 1968, Malcolm Bilson has distinguished himself as one of the pioneers in historic performance practice, specializing in performance on the fortepiano, the 18th century forerunner of the modern piano.
- - Shin Hwang made his public debut as a pianist performing Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 3 with the Lafayette College Orchestra. He attended Edward Parmentier's harpsichord workshop, where he discovered his affinity for the harpsichord and early music. Since then he has performed both solo programs on the harpsichord and fortepiano and with the University of Michigan's baroque ensembles.
- Related Resources
- Music & Performing Arts at the Library of Congress: https://www.loc.gov/rr/perform/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 19 minutes 21 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
What the Autograph Can Tell Us: Beethoven's Sonata in E Major, Opus 109. 2011. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6187/.
APA citation style:
(2011) What the Autograph Can Tell Us: Beethoven's Sonata in E Major, Opus 109. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6187/.
MLA citation style:
What the Autograph Can Tell Us: Beethoven's Sonata in E Major, Opus 109. 2011. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6187/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoMen, Let's Sing: Choral Music For Men's Voices
- Date: 2007-03-30
Film, VideoPre-Concert Conversation with Nico Muhly & Daniel Hope
- Contributor: Kahane, Jeffrey - Hope, Daniel - Muhly, Nico
- Date: 2012-10-12
Film, VideoRosanne Cash Celebrates Songs of America
- Contributor: Cash, Rosanne
- Date: 2014-02-03
Film, VideoWild Tales: A Rock & Roll Life
- Contributor: Nash, Graham - Spitz, Bob
- Date: 2013-09-16
Film, VideoMichael Feinstein Celebrates Songs of America
- Contributor: Feinstein, Michael
- Date: 2014-02-03