Film, Video The Gettysburg Address
About this Item
- The Gettysburg Address
- President Abraham Lincoln delivered an iconic speech in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, at the dedication of a military cemetery on November 19, 1863. In his brief remarks, now known as "The Gettysburg Address," Lincoln equated the catastrophic suffering caused by the Civil War with the efforts of the American people to live up to the proposition that "all men are created equal." This document featured here is presumed to be the only working, or pre-delivery, draft and is commonly identified as the "Nicolay Copy" because it was once owned by John George Nicolay, Lincoln's private secretary. The Library has two copies of the Address written in Lincoln's hand. This one was on view as part of The Civil War in America exhibition (Fall 2013).
- Event Date
- March 12, 2014
- Related Resources
- The Civil War in America: http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/civil-war-in-america/
- Running Time
- 2 minutes, 15 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Gettysburg Address. 2014. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6240/.
APA citation style:
(2014) The Gettysburg Address. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6240/.
MLA citation style:
The Gettysburg Address. 2014. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6240/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoWhat Went Wrong... and Why
- Contributor: Lewis, Bernard - Arkoun, Mohammed
- Date: 2002-05-07
Film, VideoCeltic Roots: Stories, Songs and Traditions from Across the Sea
- Contributor: Kresh, Diane - , Washington Revels
- Date: 2002-03-13
Film, VideoDaniel J. Boorstin Memorial Service
- Contributor: Billington, James H.
- Date: 2004-04-27
Film, VideoA Conversation with Betty Friedan
- Contributor: Friedan, Betty
- Date: 2005-03-10
Film, VideoVisitor Orientation Film
- Contributor: Jones, James Earl - Billington, James
- Date: 1997-05-23