Film, Video Hidden Carols: A Christmas Singing Tradition in the English Pennines
About this Item
- Hidden Carols: A Christmas Singing Tradition in the English Pennines
- For well over two and a half centuries, the performance of distinctive carols has been a feature of the seasonal holiday of Christmas in villages in many parts of England, especially in the West Country and in the region of South Yorkshire and Derbyshire around Sheffield, on the eastern edge of the Pennine hills. In this talk Ian Russell explores the development of this tradition in terms of musicality, group structure, style, and repertoire with recorded examples. He also discusses the overall sound ideal created by such carolling and the dynamic soundscape that identifies this form of cultural expression, drawing on the ethnographic fieldwork he has undertaken during the past forty years.
- Event Date
- January 07, 2014
- Related Resources
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 15 minutes 32 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Hidden Carols: A Christmas Singing Tradition in the English Pennines. 2014. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6270/.
APA citation style:
(2014) Hidden Carols: A Christmas Singing Tradition in the English Pennines. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6270/.
MLA citation style:
Hidden Carols: A Christmas Singing Tradition in the English Pennines. 2014. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6270/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoThe Inspiring Life of Héctor P. García
- Contributor: García-Akers, Cecilia
- Date: 2016-05-20
Film, VideoAmerican Folklife Center Directors Roundtable: A Retrospective of 40 Years
- Contributor: Jabbour, Alan - Peterson, Betsy - Dewhurst, Kurt - Bulger, Peggy - Murphy, Cliff
- Date: 2016-05-17
Film, VideoRahim AlHaj Oral History
- Contributor: Sheehy, Daniel - Alhaj, Rahim
- Date: 2016-07-28
Film, VideoZulal Trio & Ara Dinkjian Oral History
- Contributor: Zulal Trio - Dinkjian, Ara
- Date: 2015-05-28
Film, VideoGabriel Muñoz Oral History
- Contributor: Sheehy, Dan - Muñoz, Gabriel
- Date: 2016-09-22