Film, Video The Cinderella No One Knows: The Grimm Brothers' Tale of Incest, Fur & Hidden Bodies
About this Item
- The Cinderella No One Knows: The Grimm Brothers' Tale of Incest, Fur & Hidden Bodies
- Folklorist Margaret R. Yocom discusses less well-known versions of Cinderella, particularly the international story of Allerleirauh, found in Asia and Africa as well as Europe. She focuses on the heroine and her journey through the gendered, sexually redolent landscape of the tale???s provocative middle section. As she explains, it is not the marriage at the end that draws the listener in, but the way the heroine makes her way there.
- February 20, 2013
- - Margaret R. Yocom is a professor in the English Department of George Mason University who specializes in traditional narrative, material culture, family folklore and gender studies. She teaches courses in traditional narrative and storytelling, traditional arts, folklore and gender, ethnographic writing, the traditional ballad and folklore and creative writing. Her current work in progress is a book on the traditional arts of the Richard family of Rangeley, Maine, entitled "Generations in Wood."
- American Folklife Center: https://www.loc.gov/folklife/
- 1 hours 7 minutes 31 seconds
- online text
Rights & Access
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Cite This Item
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
The Cinderella No One Knows: The Grimm Brothers' Tale of Incest, Fur & Hidden Bodies. 2013. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6280/.
APA citation style:
(2013) The Cinderella No One Knows: The Grimm Brothers' Tale of Incest, Fur & Hidden Bodies. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6280/.
MLA citation style:
The Cinderella No One Knows: The Grimm Brothers' Tale of Incest, Fur & Hidden Bodies. 2013. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6280/>.