Film, Video President Warren Harding's Love Letters
About this Item
- President Warren Harding's Love Letters
- A collection of approximately 1,000 pages of love letters between 29th U.S. President Warren G. Harding and his mistress, Carrie Fulton Phillips, is examined. Historian James D. Robenalt and archivist Karen Linn Femia shared their impressions about the Harding-Phillips correspondence and what they reveal about Harding's character and political views; his relationship with his wife; and implications for national security during World War I, given Phillips' German partisanship. Manuscript Division Chief James Hutson moderated the discussion and Dr. Richard Harding, a grandnephew of the president, described the family's reaction to the opening of the president's personal correspondence.
- Event Date
- July 22, 2014
- Related Resources
- Manuscript Division: https://www.loc.gov/rr/mss/
- Warren G. Harding-Carrie Fulton Phillips Letters: https://www.loc.gov/collection/warren-harding-carrie-fulton-phillips-correspondence/about-this-collection
- Phillips/Mathee Collection: https://www.loc.gov/collection/phillips-mathee-collection/about-this-collection/
- News Release About Release of Letters: https://www.loc.gov/today/pr/2014/14-129.html
- Running Time
- 1 hours 34 minutes 16 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
President Warren Harding's Love Letters. 2014. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6310/.
APA citation style:
(2014) President Warren Harding's Love Letters. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6310/.
MLA citation style:
President Warren Harding's Love Letters. 2014. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6310/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoWalt Whitman's Elegy for Lincoln A reading of Whitman's great "Lilacs" elegy was the first event in the Library's 2005 celebrations marking the sesquicentennary of Walt Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" and was presented by Alice L. Birney,...
- Contributor: Winslow, Rosemary - Birney, Alice
- Date: 2005-03-25
Film, VideoThe NAACP: Reflections on the First 100 Years In commemoration of 100 years of the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People), the Library of Congress sponsored the symposium "The NAACP: Reflections of the First 100 Years." The...
- Contributor: Mack, Kenneth W. - Sullivan, Patricia - Zangrando, Robert L.
- Date: 2010-02-26
Film, VideoLetters to Lincoln Challenge The Library of Congress marked the 155th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's delivery of the Gettysburg Address with a discussion of the speech and a #LettersToLincoln transcribe-a-thon for volunteers on- and offsite.
- Contributor: Hayden, Carla D. - Melgar, Christian - Krowl, Michelle - Ferriter, Meghan
- Date: 2018-11-19
Film, VideoResearch in the Manuscript Reading Room Learn how to conduct research in the Manuscript Reading Room of the Library of Congress.
- Contributor: Narrator
- Date: 2018-09-25
Film, VideoInvestigación en la Sala de Lectura de Manuscrito Aprenda cómo hacer investigación en la Sala de Lectura de Manuscrito de la Biblioteca del Congreso.
- Contributor: Narrador
- Date: 2018-09-25