Film, Video A Thousand Years of the Persian Book
About this Item
- A Thousand Years of the Persian Book
- This lecture launched the "A Thousand Years of the Persian Book" exhibition at the Library of Congress. The rich literary tradition of the Persian language over the last millennium was discussed. From illuminated manuscripts to contemporary publications, the exhibition will bring attention to the literary achievements of Iran and the greater Persian-speaking regions of Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Central and South Asia and the Caucasus.
- Event Date
- March 27, 2014
- Related Resources
- African & Middle Eastern Division: https://www.loc.gov/rr/amed/
- 'A Thousand Years of the Persian Book' exhibition: https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/thousand-years-of-the-persian-book/
- Running Time
- 2 hours 48 minutes 48 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
A Thousand Years of the Persian Book. 2014. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6339/.
APA citation style:
(2014) A Thousand Years of the Persian Book. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6339/.
MLA citation style:
A Thousand Years of the Persian Book. 2014. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6339/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoPersian Language Rare Materials Digitization Project This two-panel program on the Persian Language Rare Materials Digitization Project offers conversations with experts and library specialists focusing on how Persian manuscripts contribute to the study of language, literature, culture and...
- Contributor: Deeb, Mary Jane - Ohanyan, Tamera - Hoh, Anchi - Sergi, Domenico - Reser, David - Rieger, Thomas - Khan, Yasmeen - Dinavari, Hirad - Potter, Lee Ann - Keshavarz, Fatemah - Landau, Amy - Weeks, Joan - Chyet, Michael
- Date: 2019-05-10
Film, VideoShahnameh: The Epic of the Persian Kings Hamid Rahmanian presented an innovative version of Ferdowsi's Shahnameh "The Epic of the Persian Kings" based on illustrations from thousands of Iranian, Mughal Indian, and Ottoman manuscripts.
- Contributor: Rahmanian, Hamid
- Date: 2013-03-20
Film, VideoFrom Mecca to Mashhad: A Lithographed Shiite Pilgrimage Scroll from Iran A Nowruz lecture featuring Ulrich Marzolph speaking about a lithographed Shiite pilgrimage scroll from Qajar, Iran.
- Contributor: Marzolph, Ulrich
- Date: 2013-04-10
Film, VideoWomen in Iran: Past, Present and Future Nafisi discusses the current state of women in the Islamic republic of Iran.
- Contributor: Nafisi, Azar
- Date: 2004-03-16
Film, VideoLost Enlightenment: Central Asia's Golden Age from the Arab Conquest to Tamerlane Fred Starr discusses his book on central Asia's golden age, from the Arab conquest to Tamerlane.
- Contributor: Starr, Fred
- Date: 2016-05-05