Film, Video Voyage of the St. Louis
About this Item
- Voyage of the St. Louis
- A panel discussion on the 75th anniversary of the sailing of the refugee ship the St. Louis, "the saddest ship afloat" (New York Times). On May 13, 1939, over 900 Jewish refugees fleeing Nazi Germany left Hamburg, Germany. Turned away from Cuba, the U.S, and Canada, the St. Louis returned to Europe, a symbol of the world's indifference to the gathering Holocaust.
- Event Date
- May 19, 2014
- - Marvin Kalb spent 30 years as an award-winning reporter for CBS News and NBC News. He has authored or co-authored nine nonfiction books.
- - Martin Goldsmith, host and classical music programmer for "Symphony Hall" on Sirius XM Satellite Radio and former host of NPR's Performance Today, has recently authored a new book, "Alex's Wake: A Voyage of Betrayal and a Journey of Remembrance," about his family's connection with the St. Louis.
- - Diane Afoumado is chief of ITS Research at US Holocaust Memorial Museum, Survivors and Victims Resource Center. Her fellowship at the Museum focused on the "St. Louis" odyssey through the eyes of Captain Schroeder. She is author of "Exile Impossible: L'errance des Juifs du Paquebot St. Louis."
- Related Resources
- Humanities & Social Sciences Division: https://www.loc.gov/rr/main/
- Running Time
- 1 hours 9 minutes 54 seconds
- Online Format
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
Voyage of the St. Louis. 2014. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6433/.
APA citation style:
(2014) Voyage of the St. Louis. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6433/.
MLA citation style:
Voyage of the St. Louis. 2014. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6433/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoWilliam Faulkner & the Ledgers of History
- Contributor: Wolff, Sally
- Date: 2011-08-09
Film, VideoHistory and the Mystery
- Contributor: Bayard, Louis - Crosby, Ellen - Stashower, Daniel
- Date: 2011-05-23
Film, VideoBroken: My Story of Addiction and Redemption
- Contributor: Moyers, William Cope
- Date: 2010-09-28
Film, VideoIslam Through Western Eyes
- Contributor: Lyons, Jonathan
- Date: 2012-02-16
Film, VideoFaulkner and Hemingway: Biography of a Literary Rivalry
- Contributor: Fruscione, Joseph
- Date: 2012-03-16