Film, Video A Conversation with a Modern Bookbinder
About this Item
- A Conversation with a Modern Bookbinder
- Daniel E. Kelm discussed the art and craft of bookbinding.
- Event Date
- September 11, 2014
- - Daniel E. Kelm was trained in chemistry and philosophy at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis. After receiving a B.A., he remained at the University, serving in various research and teaching positions for the next five years. In 1978 he began his explorations of bookbinding at the University of Minnesota Library Bindery. From 1978 to 1983 he served apprenticeships and worked in binderies across the country, learning increasingly specialized traditional bookbinding techniques. He opened his own studio, The Wide Awake Garage in 1983 and The Garage Annex School of Book Arts in 1990. In addition to teaching at The Garage Annex School, Kelm has taught classes across the country including at the Library of Congress.
- Related Resources
- Rare Book & Special Collections Division: http://www.loc.gov/rr/rarebook/
- Running Time
- 1 hours, 13 minutes, 20 seconds
- Online Format
- online text
While the Library of Congress created most of the videos in this collection, they include copyrighted materials that the Library has permission from rightsholders to present. Rights assessment is your responsibility. The written permission of the copyright owners in materials not in the public domain is required for distribution, reproduction, or other use of protected items beyond that allowed by fair use or other statutory exemptions. There may also be content that is protected under the copyright or neighboring-rights laws of other nations. Permissions may additionally be required from holders of other rights (such as publicity and/or privacy rights). Whenever possible, we provide information that we have about copyright owners and related matters in the catalog records, finding aids and other texts that accompany collections. However, the information we have may not be accurate or complete.
More about Copyright and other Restrictions
For guidance about compiling full citations consult Citing Primary Sources.
Credit Line: Library of Congress
Citations are generated automatically from bibliographic data as a convenience, and may not be complete or accurate.
Chicago citation style:
A Conversation with a Modern Bookbinder. 2014. Video. https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6552/.
APA citation style:
(2014) A Conversation with a Modern Bookbinder. [Video] Retrieved from the Library of Congress, https://www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6552/.
MLA citation style:
A Conversation with a Modern Bookbinder. 2014. Video. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, <www.loc.gov/item/webcast-6552/>.
More Films, Videos like this
Film, VideoThe Seen & Unseen Legacy of James Joyce's Ulysses
- Contributor: Purchase, Johnna
- Date: 2013-07-25
Film, VideoDigital Preservation for Machine-Scale Access & Analysis
- Contributor: Green, Lisa
- Date: 2013-07-24
Film, VideoDigital Public Library of America
- Contributor: Gore, Emily
- Date: 2013-07-24
Film, VideoThe Bayard Rustin Papers
- Contributor: Cannon, Adrienne - Ashley, John
- Date: 2013-08-28
Film, Video2013 Library of Congress Junior Fellows
- Date: 2013-07-03